Applesauce cuts the sugar here and keeps things moist and then we get to treat ourselves to chocolate inside our banana bread.
I got the idea to put chocolate chips in banana bread from my sister-in-law. She loves sweets and has got me hooked on adding chocolate chips to pancakes and now to banana bread. I’d heard of using applesauce in baking before and thought that’d be a win-win way to cut the sugar in half while keeping the bread sweet and adding moisture. The crushed pineapples in my favorite zucchini bread recipe makes it amazingly moist, sweet and delicious so I thought applesauce would serve that same purpose here. Here’s how to whip up your own batch:
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup apple sauce
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, pecans and chocolate chips.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with sugar, add butter and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Stir in bananas and applesauce.
- Stir in dry ingredients and chocolate chips until moistened.
- Spoon into greased loaf pan. Bake at 325˚ for 1 hour.