Shrimp and Grits has long been a favorite southern dish which I didn’t know until 2006 when we traveled down to Charleston, South Carolina for our honeymoon. We had the traditional shrimp and grits dish at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. on Market Street. I knew I was in for a treat when we sat down and I saw photos of U.S. presidents eating at this restaurant. Aaron ordered the shrimp and grits as the appetizer and it was so good we got it as the main dish too! Shrimp and grits is to this day one of my favorite food. Since we live way up north it is nowhere to be found. So Aaron in all his craftiness came up with his own shrimp and grits recipe when we returned home from our honeymoon. He hit the nail on the head and we’ve been making it ever since. It’s been published by AllRecipes.com and has even been rated 5-stars by some Charleston natives! If you’re interested, you can get our original recipe here: Barbecued Shrimp & Grits.
Shrimp and grits is truly comfort food at its finest but comfort food is really more of a winter thing. So since it’s spring, I decided to try adding a little Hawaiian flavor borrowed from another one of my favorite shrimp recipes which I’ll be posting a little later. To my delight, this little grilled Hawaiian shrimp experiment came out quite good. The pineapples and tomatoes give this southern classic a fun and summery twist. Let me know what you think!
- 1 lb package bacon
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapples
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup uncooked quick grits
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 lbs raw shrimp
- Barbecue sauce
- Spread out bacon on a large, lightly greased piece of foil and grill for 15 minutes or until nice and crispy. Remove and crumble. Add shrimp to remaining bacon fat and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until grey color has turned white.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions in butter until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for a minute then stir in crushed pineapples and tomatoes and keep heated on low until ready to serve.
- In a microwavable large bowl, prepare grits using the microwave as directed on the package. Stir in cheese and salt.
- Spoon grits onto a plate and layer with tomato pineapple sauce, crumbled bacon, and shrimp. Top with barbecue sauce and serve.