This easy stuffed pepper soup recipe can be made in the crockpot or on the stovetop — whichever you prefer.
What does this stuffed pepper soup taste like?
This soup has all the flavors you know and love about the classic stuffed pepper dish without all the work!
The broth is thick and flavorful made with diced tomatoes, tomato soup and Italian seasoning.
The bell peppers, meat and tomatoes blend together beautifully for a simple you flavorful dish. The olive oil used to saute the onion and peppers is just the right touch to add some richness to all these flavors.
You choose your type or meat. Or go vegetarian.
You can make this with lean and healthy ground turkey or beef if you prefer. Or you can use a half and half mixture like I do when I make these healthy stuffed shells.
Want a vegetarian version? Try a meat substitute or use chopped vegetables in place of the meat.
I like to add a little bit of Worcestershire sauce to enhance the meat flavor in this dish, especially when using ground turkey or a plant-based meat substitute.
Serve over rice.
I recommend enjoying this soup over rice or quinoa to make it extra hearty.
To keep this quick and easy, you can go with minute rice, or package cooked rice. I also like to make this soup when I have leftover white rice after ordering chinese food.
You can also cook your rice quickly using an instapot.
If you want to lower your carbs though, go ahead and skip the rice. This stuffed pepper soup is still really good without any rice at all.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 bell peppers (any color) diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 23.2 oz tomato soup
- 1 cup beef broth (or vegetable broth)
- 28 oz petite diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt more or less to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups cooked rice (white or brown)
- Preheat Crockpot to high while you prepare the onions, peppers and fresh herbs (OK to use dry herb). If using a dutch oven or soup pot, skip this step.
- Place ground turkey, onion, peppers and olive oil in the preheated Crockpot or use a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Chop up ground turkey (or beef) as it cooks. Stirring occasionally, cook for 10 minutes or until turkey/beef is fully browned and onions and peppers are soft.
- Add tomato soup, beef broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, and salt. Cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Layer stuffed pepper soup over rice in a soup bowl then top with Parmesan cheese.