You’re going to love how refreshing and light this potato side dish. A nice break from traditional potato salad.
★ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ★
This potato salad is super easy to make. All you need is 5 ingredients! Made with red potatoes, Italian dressing, fresh dill, garlic and sour cream. You can mix in the sour cream or offer it on the side for dipping.
It’s so simple to make that it’s great for a quick and easy side dish with dinner. Or make a big batch and bring it to a pot luck.
What makes this recipe different?
Unlike traditional potato salad, this is made without eggs and no mayonnaise. However, you still get some tang and creaminess with the sour cream.
This does do have mustard but you could add it if you want. I don’t think it needs it, but you may disagree. Add it to taste should you want it.
This also does not have celery. If you’re missing the flavor of celery, you could add some celery salt, or chopped celery.
★ Ingredients You’ll Need ★
This recipe is made using just FIVE ingredients!
- Red potatoes. The small red potatoes are what work best. They are quick to cook and have an earthy, peppery flavor.
- Italian dressing. My favorite is Olive Garden’s bottle dressing. It’s creamy and contains Parmesan cheese so it’s packed with flavor and convenient.
- Fresh dill. Fresh is key! You’ll get a nice aroma and flavor with fresh.
- Garlic paste. The paste is very convenient and offers a smooth texture as well as a less potent garlic flavor since you aren’t biting into chunks or raw garlic. You could also use garlic powder.
- Sour cream. You’ll want to go with full fat sour cream for the best flavor. Fold the sour cream in with the potatoes or offer it more as a condiment for dipping. Your choice!
That’s it! Simple!
If you’re craving more flavor, here are some extras you can add in:
- Mustard. Dijon or any kind you like.
- Hard boiled eggs. Eggs add protein and make this into a more traditional tasting potato salad.
- Chopped celery or celery salt. If you’re craving that classic celery flavor.
- Onion powder. For an extra layer or spice.
- Vinegar. Want extra tang? Add a few dashes of vinegar.
★ How to Make this Potato Salad ★
- Cut and boil potatoes.
- Drain and let cool.
- Toss potatoes in Italian dressing, dill and garlic paste.
- Chill (optional)
- Serve with a side of sour cream for dipping.
★ FAQs & Tips ★
Cooking the Potatoes Just Right
The key to cooking potatoes quickly is to cut all the piece to the same size. Then the potatoes all cook at the same rate so you don’t overcook some or undercook others.
Leave the potato peel on.
As my grandma used to say, “that’s where the vitamins are!” but also the flavor. And color. Ther beauty of red skin potatoes is that their skins is very tender and flavorful compared to other types of potatoes. This makes them ideal for this potato salad recipe.
Also, no peeling means this recipe is quick and easy.
What goes well with potato salad?
Potato salad makes a great side dish to bring to a potluck or barbecue. It goes well with almost any main dish and is usually kid-friendly as well as vegetarian.
This recipe makes an ideal side dish with grilled meats or vegetables such as steak, chicken, or mushrooms, peppers and onions.
Storing this Potato Salad
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to one week. I like to store this in a large serving bowl with a lid or you can use plastic wrap.
★ More Recipes You’ll Love ★
Want some dinner ideas you can pair with this easy side dish?
Check out all my dinner recipes and Pin your favorites.
Love a good easy side dish?
Browse all my side dish recipes and be sure to Pin your favorites for later!
This easy recipe for 5-Ingredient Italian Dressing Potato Salad was featured on South Your Mouth!
- 12 baby red potatoes
- ¼ cup Italian dressing (Olive Garden dressing is my fav)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp garlic pasta
- ¼ cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut baby potatoes in half then boil for 10-12 minutes or until the largest potato is softened. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add Italian dressing, fresh dill and garlic paste (reserve sour cream for later). Stir to combine.
- Add cooled potatoes to bowl and gently toss to coat potatoes.
- Serve immediately or chill before serving.
- Serve with sour cream for dipping.