Philly Cheesesteak Casserole made with ground beef or shaved steak and tater tots is a quick and easy inner idea. Layered with peppers, onions and mushrooms.
This easy dinner idea comes with everything love about the classic sandwich, in casserole form, topped with crispy tater tots — YUM!
What’s in this Philly Cheesesteak Casserole?
You don’t need a long list of ingredients to make this tasty meal. In fact, you just need just 5 ingredients, 6 if you want to include mushrooms:
• Ground beef (or use shaved steak)
• Green bell pepper
• Mushroom – optional but highly recommend!
• Provolone cheese
• Tater tots
That’s it, other than some salt and pepper to season things. Yes, it’s as easy at it sounds to prep.
How to Make this Cheesesteak Casserole
You can cook the beef, peppers, onion and mushrooms all together in a large skillet to save time. Then layer those ingredients into an 8×8 baking dish, and top with provolone cheese and tater tots. Bake in the oven until tots are nice and crispy, about 30 minutes.
Watch how to make this casserole.
Check out this step-by-step video showing how easy this casserole is to prep, assemble and bake.
Lower the Fat
Here’s a little tip for lowering the fat in this dish: drain your ground beef after cooking. Also, choose a lean blend of beef or steak to start with. If you find this leaves your dish lacking flavor, add in a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce to your lean meat.
Extra Seasoning for Your Meat
I love steak and ground beef with just salt and pepper but if you’re craving something a little more here are some ideas to spice things up. Trying adding garlic or onion powder to your ground beef (or steak) when you cook it. Or you can opt to use pre-seasoned and pre-cooked shaved steak. You can actually find this at most grocery stores.
Some herbs that go well to enhance to flavor of Philly cheesesteak beef are: paprika, chili powder, thyme, marjoram and basil. Any or all of these would be great additions to your meat; adding them in as you cook or heat your meat.
Love an easy dinner?
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole (5 Ingredients)
- 1 lb ground beef or shaved steak
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- ½ large onion sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms optional
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 16 oz frozen tater tots About 48 tater tots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, chopped peppers, sliced onion and mushrooms until beef is browns, peppers are soft, onions are translucent and mushrooms are glossy. About 8-10 minutes.
- Drain beef as needed and transfer along with pepper, onion and mushrooms to 8x8 baking pan.
- Top with slices of provolone cheese.
- Layer tots on top of cheese and bake at 450˚for 30 minutes or until tots are desired crispness.