Cheesy broccoli casserole is a delicious and comforting dish made with fresh or frozen broccoli, a creamy cheese sauce, and topped with buttery cracker crumbs, baked until bubbly and golden brown.
This is a staple at many Thanksgiving dinners: Broccoli casserole! This yummy veggie side dish is layered with cheese and crunchy, crushed crackers.
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
This delicious side dish could not be easier to make using just 4 ingredients — American cheese, broccoli florets, Ritz crackers and butter.
The flavorful and vitamin-rich juices from the broccoli cook out and combine with the melting cheese to form a creamy sauce.
Tender broccoli florets melt in your mouth while the buttery Ritz cracker topping adds the perfect crunch to every bite!
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
This recipe could not be more simple. You need just FOUR ingredients plus an optional ingredient!
- Broccoli. You can use fresh or frozen. I find that fresh broccoli has fewer stems and more tops. Slice into florets.
- American cheese. Deli American cheese has the best flavor in my opnion, but you can use yellow or white American single slices as well. You can also use Velveeta cheese if you prefer.
- Ritz crackers and salted butter. Crushed Ritz crackers mixed with butter combine to create a crunch yet melt-ion-your-mouth topping.
- Cream of celery soup (optional). Adding a can of cream of celery soup will create a more saucy casserole and less cheesy flavor. This casserole can be made with or without this ingredient so you choose what you like best.
That's truly all you need!
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
Here's a look at the steps for prepping this broccoli casserole.
- Add broccoli florets to greased casserole dish.
- Layer on cream of celery soup (option).
- Layer on slices of American cheese.
- Melt butter.
- Crush crackers.
- Blend butter with cracker crumbs.
- Layer crumbs on top.
★ Tips & FAQs ★
Can this cheesy broccoli casserole be prepared in advance?
Yes, you can prepare cheesy broccoli casserole in advance. Assemble the casserole up to the point of baking, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and refrigerate.
When ready to serve, bake according to the recipe instructions. This is a convenient option for meal prepping or entertaining.
What extra ingredients can be added to this cheesy broccoli casserole?
Customize your cheesy broccoli casserole by adding ingredients such as diced cooked chicken, bacon, mushrooms, or even a layer of cooked rice. Some people liked to make this dish with cream of celery soup. This is a good option if you prefer a very saucy casserole. These additions can enhance the flavor and even make the dish a complete meal.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
To reheat this broccoli casserole, bake at 350°F until heated through. This can take about 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can microwave individual portions for a quicker reheating option.
Can this casserole be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this broccoli casserole. It's best to freeze before baking.
When ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and heat following the original baking instructions.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
Want more tasty side dish ideas?
Browse all my easy side dish ideas
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 36 oz broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 10.5 oz cream of celery soup (optional)
- 16 slices American cheese
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 sleeve Ritz crackers
- Steam broccoli florets.If frozen, follow directions on bag for steaming in bag.If using fresh broccoli, place in microwave safe dish along with 6 ice cubes. Cover dish completely with plastic wrap and microwave for 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is tender and soft. (Be careful removing plastic wrap as steam will be hot.)
- Add steamed broccoli florets to a grease casserole dish. (Grease with butter or cooking spray)
- Optional: Layer cream of celery soup over top of broccoli.
- Layer on slices of American cheese.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl for about 1 minute (Cover with a paper towel to prevent splattering)
- Keeping the crackers still in the sleeve, squeeze to crush crackers into crumbs.Empty cracker crumbs from sleeve into the melted butter.Stir to combine.Layer crumbs on top of casserole
- Bake at 350˚ for 45 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and center of casserole is hot.
- Remove from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.*