Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes are sure to become a new favorite weeknight meal. These sandwiches come together quickly after slow cooking all day. Seasoned ground chicken is coated in buffalo sauce and piled high on a soft bun with ranch dressing of course! All the flavor of your favorite buffalo wings but in Sloppy Joe form!
If you are a lover of Buffalo chicken, these sloppy Joe sandwiches are going to be a hit!
You get the ease of the classic sloppy Joe dish with a new pop of flavor. Made with ground chicken, Buffalo sauce and ranch dressing all layered into a sesame-seed bun.
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joe sandwiches are sure to become a new favorite weeknight meal. So easy and so tasty!
These sandwiches come together quickly after slow cooking all day. Seasoned ground chicken is coated in buffalo sauce and piled high on a soft bun with ranch dressing of course!
All the flavor of your favorite buffalo wings but in Sloppy Joe form!
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
Here's a look at what you'll need to pull these sandwiches together:
For the chicken:
- Celery. Fresh and chopped.
- Onion. You can use yellow, white or red onion.
- Garlic. I like to use garlic paste to save time. You can use fresh garlic, minced garlic or even garlic powder if that's more convenient.
- Salt and pepper.
- Ground chicken.
For the sauce:
- Tomato sauce. Just basic canned tomato sauce.
- Buffalo wing sauce. Make sure to use wing sauce, not just plain Frank's hot sauce.
- Honey. You can use sugar or brown sugar if you prefer. A small amount of sweetness cuts through and balances the tomatoes.
- Worcestershire sauce. This enhances the flavor of the chicken.
For the sandwiches:
- Green onions. These add a crisp fresh note to the chicken once cooked.
- Hamburger buns. I love bakery-fresh brioche buns with sesame seeds. You can lightly toast the buns if you'd like.
- Ranch dressing. Add as much or as little as you'd like. You can also use blue cheese dressing if you prefer.
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
This recipe comes together in 3 main stages:
- Brown and season chicken.
- Slow cook chicken in sauce.
- Assemble sandwiches on buns.
Here's a look at the process:
★ Tips & FAQs ★
Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts or thighs. Thaw them first and cut into pieces before cooking. Be sure to cook to a safe temperature of 165˚F.
Adjusting the Level of Spiciness
Feel free to adjust the amount of buffalo sauce to suit your taste preferences. You can start with a smaller amount and add more later if needed.
Store any leftover buffalo chicken mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave just until warmed through then assemble your sandwich.
Can I freeze the buffalo chicken sloppy joe mixture?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked buffalo chicken mixture for up to 2-3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat before serving.
What sides go well with these sandwiches?
Classic sides like coleslaw, potato salad, or a simple green salad pair nicely with these buffalo chicken sloppy joe sandwiches. Carrot and celery sticks with ranch dressing also make for a refreshing side.
Can I make this recipe without a crockpot?
Yes, you can adapt the recipe for stovetop or oven cooking. Simmer the chicken mixture in a pot on the stove or bake it in the oven until sauce is thick and hot. The longer it simmers, the more flavor will infuse into the chicken.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
Love Buffalo chicken?
Browse all my Buffalo sauce recipes and be sure to Pin your favorites for later!
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joe
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper each
- 2 lb ground chicken
- 3 teaspoon garlic paste
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 Worcestershire sauce
- 2 green onions for garnish sliced
- 8 brioche sesame seed hamburger buns
- ½ cup Ranch dressing more or less to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add celery, onion, salt, pepper and ground chicken.Sir and cook until the chicken is browned. Add garlic the last minute of cooking.
- Add ground chicken mixture to your slow cooker. Then add salt, pepper, tomato sauce, buffalo wing sauce, honey and Wocestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Garnish chicken with green onions before serving.
- Spoon onto buns, top with ranch dressing and serve hot.