This easy, creamy Buffalo chicken soup is everything you know and love about Buffalo chicken dip, in soup form!
This recipe is very easy to make, starting with cooked chicken.
If you're getting bored with the same old chicken soups, this Buffalo chicken soup is a must-try!
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
Pennsylvania loves all things Buffalo chicken.
You will too!
I'm not sure if it's because we are so close to Buffalo, NY or what but people in our town love all things Buffalo chicken.
On most local menus you can find a Buffalo chicken sandwich, buffalo chicken wraps, Buffalo chicken wings, Buffalo chicken salad and the ever-popular game-day dip, Buffalo chicken dip.
Cream cheese, cheddar cheese and a bit of butter balances out the spicy Franks hot sauce sauce. Add in a few veggies for health (ha ha) and a generous amount of cooked chicken... you can't go wrong.
Seasoned with Ranch Dressing
The other thing Pennsylvania people love is ranch dressing. You can find ranch dressing on salads, served as a dip, as a rub, and even on pizzas! Coincidentally ranch and buffalo are two flavors that together quite well!
Which makes this Buffalo-ranch chicken soup very flavorful.
★ Tips & FAQs ★
Use rotisserie chicken or cook your own.
I usually like to start with a rotisserie chicken when I make chicken soup, but in this case, you might as well cook a whole chicken and make your own stock because carrots and celery are the perfect complement to buffalo chicken. Mmmm mmh.
Or, go ahead and use leftover cooked chicken, frozen cooked chicken or even canned chicken.
How to Lighten Up this Soup
I'm not going to lie. This soup is not low-fat, low-calorie or all that healthy. BUT it's delicious.
However, if you're looking to lighten things up and you're willing to sacrifice a little flavor, it's easy to make this a bit healthier.
Here are some things you can do to make this soup more healthy:
- Use margin instead of butter. This reduces fat and calories.
- Cut the amount of butter in half.
- Use white meat chicken only. (Dark meat has more fat)
- Cut the amount of cream cheese down down by half.
- Replace cream cheese with neufchatel cheese. This has ⅓ of the fat.
- Cut the amount of cheddar cheese in half.
You will end up with a less creamy soup, but it will still be yummy and much lower in fat if you follow these substitutions.
Here's another idea: Share! Have one bowl instead of two. Everything in moderation, right?
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
If you love this Buffalo chicken soup, then you'll love some of my other favorite Buffalo chicken dishes: Buffalo chicken dip, Buffalo Chicken Puff Pastry Pinwheels, Buffalo Chicken Salad.
This Buffalo Ranch Chicken Soup was featured on Menu Plan Monday!
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Soup
- ½ cup butter 1 stick
- 2 cups sliced carrots frozen or fresh
- 4 stalks celery sliced with leaves removed
- 1 onion diced
- 1 rotisserie chicken* picked
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup Franks hot sauce
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 packet ranch seasoning (3 tbsp)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- In a large dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion. Stir and cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- While veggies are cooking, pick all the meat from the rotisserie chicken and set aside. Discard carcass.
- Once onions are translucent, whisk in the flour with the veggies and butter and let bubble for 1 minute.
- Add picked chicken and broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir in hot sauce, cream cheese, ranch seasoning and cheddar cheese. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips.
Leave a Reply