This cannoli bundt cake is to die for! And super easy to make since you start with cake mix. The cake is so moist, made with ricotta and then topped with cannoli frosting and chocolate chips. A fun and tasty dessert to celebrate special occasions.
If you love cannolis but aren't quite sure you want to get into advanced pastry-making then you will love this cannoli bundt cake recipe!
This cake is super easy to make, using cake mix as a starting point. One of my favorite cooking hacks is doctoring cake mixes. You'd be surprised to hear how many professional chefs also start with a cake mix. It's not a sin, I swear! It's a time-saver and you can get amazing flavor from a cake mix.
All the Cannoli Flavor You Love
We'll start with vanilla cake mix and add ricotta cheese, milk, and chocolate chips. The ricotta cheese adds flavor as well as moisture. So you end up with a dense and delicious cake.
Next comes the frosting. This is sort of a buttercream frosting with ricotta cheese and vanilla added in, again, creating that traditional cannoli flavor you know and love.
This pretty and yummy cake is topped of with a dusting of powdered sugar and more mini chocolate chips.
An Easy Dessert for Special Occasions
Celebrating a birthday, holiday or anniversary? This is an impressive dessert that tastes so good and is really easy to make. An all-around win.
There are a few tips and tricks to nailing this cake on the first try so be sure to follow the directions and check out the notes for a few extra tips.
How to Get Your Bundt Cake out of the Pan Without Breaking
Yes, there is a secret to getting your cooked bundt cake to drop smoothly out of the bundt pan. You need to use baking spray. I use Baker's Joy which is made of flour and oil. The combination is like magic and the cake slides right out of the pan when you use a generous amount.
What size bundt pan is needed?
You will want a large bundt pan for this recipe. I recommend a 12-cup size or larger.
If using a smaller bundt pan, you can cut the recipe down as needed.
Keep in mind, the batter will expand when baked so you want to make sure the bundt pan is not filled up more than ¾ full.
Need a bundt pan? Shop bundt pans on Amazon
Storing this Cannoli Cake
Since this cake is made with ricotta and cream cheese, your best bet is to store this in the fridge. Bring out the cake about 20-30 minutes before serving to let it get to room temperature.
The cannoli frosting doubles as a dip!
This is a two-for-one recipe in that you can actually serve the frosting as a dip! So, if you're looking for a fun, sharable dessert or party snack then make just the frosting (you can double it if feeding a crowd) and serve it with a sweet cookie. I like to use vanilla wafers or waffle ice cream cones broken into a pieces and dusted with powdered sugar.
Want more easy dessert ideas?
This cannoli bundt cake recipe was featured on South Your Mouth!
Cannoli Bundt Cake
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, squeezed to remove liquid
- ½ cup ricotta cheese, squeezed to remove liquid
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A few shakes salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix with chocolate chips. Toss to coat chocolate chips. Next add eggs, milk, oil and ricotta cheese. Beat with a hand mixer until completely blended.
- Generously coat bundt pan with baking spray (flour and oil) then pour cake batter into bundt pan.
- Bake at 350˚for 30-35 minutes. Cook time varies by pan. When the top of the cake starts to firm up, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake and when it comes out completely clean, remove the cake from oven.
- Let cake cool completely. To speed up cooling, you can put the cake in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the frosting by blending together ricotta cheese, cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt with a mixer.
- Next, take the cool cake and place your cake plate on top of the bundt pan, face down. Gently flip the cake over onto the plate.
- Shake powdered sugar onto the cake then scrap icing evenly over top. Finally, top with chocolate chips. Slice and enjoy!