This apple cake is moist, not overly sweet, has a healthy vibe with oatmeal, whole wheat flour, and apples. The chewy sugary edges that are amazing! The cream cheese icing takes it over the top. A must-try for fall. Makes a great Thanksgiving dessert.
Raise your hand if you feel like most desserts never have enough icing.... Ok, put your hand down. You know you're right. I know you're right. We're all right about this yet no one is doing anything about it. So I'm doing it. We are going to lather this delicious cinnamon apple bundt cake in cream cheese frosting. We will indulge. YOLO.
★ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ★
You'll love this cinnamon apple bundt cake topped with a generous portion of cream cheese icing!
It's an easy recipe, perfect for your fall baking bucket list. This bundt cake also make an excellent Thanksgiving dessert.
This flavorful cake is moist, not too sweet, and has healthy ingredients that also taste yummy like: oatmeal, whole wheat flour, apples and walnuts.
This cake is perfect with your morning coffee as a breakfast, serve it for a special brunch or offer it as a Thanksgiving dessert.
The thing I love best about this bundt cake is it has these chewy little sugary edges that are just amazing. If you're and edge-of-the-pan brownie kind of person like me, you'll enjoy these parts.
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
- Apples. I recommend Granny Smith apples for their tart flavor but go with your favorite type.
- Walnuts. The earthy flavor of walnuts goes really well with this apple cake. You could also use pecans or any nut your heart desires.
- Flour. I use a half and half blend of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. You could use just all-purpose or even 100% whole wheat. Your choice.
- Oats. You can use old fashioned oats or 1-minute oats for a smoother texture.
- Baking soda. For the fluffy cakey texture.
- Salt, sugar, brown sugar, and eggs. All the normal cake staples.
- Coconut oil. I like the taste of this oil but you can use vegetable, corn or canola oil instead.
Cream Cheese Icing
It's easy to whip up this delicious, rich frosting.
You just need 4 ingredients:
- Powdered Sugar.
- Milk. You can use any percentage, half and half, or heavy cream.
- Honey. You can use sugar instead but honey add just a touch of extra flavor that's really lovely.
- Cream cheese. I prefer using whipped cream cheese as it blends better (less lumps) but you can use block cream cheese. Cream cheese also blends better at room temperature.
★ Tips & FAQs ★
I can't really tell you much more about this because I'd be doing you the disservice of placing time between you and making this cake!
I will leave you with a few tips about special tools you may want to make this.
You'll Need a Bundt Pan.
First tool you'll need: a bundt pan. Maybe you'll have better luck thrifting one than I did. If not, there's always Amazon. I got a Nordic Ware brand because it felt more sturdy than other brands and it's non-stick — key for when it comes time to flip. There are other brands that offer some fun designs though.
Check out all the bundt pans available on Amazon.
You'll Want an Apple Peeler.
Next thing that's really helpful to have is an apple peeler. I have metal one and it does the job well, check out the selection of apple peelers on Amazon if you're wanting one.
They are actually fun to use. Kids love them. And they remind me of my grandma. My grandma had a wrought iron one in her kitchen and it was a treat to get to use it to peel and slice apples.
How do you get this apple cake out of the bundt pan?
The secret is using Bakers Joy. This is a product that combine flour and oil. It works miracles for releasing cakes from baking pans. This can be particularly trick using a bundt an because it's so deep and it often has a lot of groves making up a pretty design.
You can grab Bakers Joy from the grocery store or order it from Amazon.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
Are you a cinnamon lover? Try my most-loved make-ahead breakfast casserole — Cinnamon Roll Casserole.
Love apples? You'll love my easy apple dumpling recipe!
This easy recipe for apple cinnamon bundt cake with cream cheese icing was featured on South Your Mouth!
Cinnamon Apple Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 baking apples diced
- 1 cup chopped walnuts plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour 1 whole wheat, 1 regular
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 eggs
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup cream cheese
- In a medium bowl, stir together apples, walnuts, vanilla and cinnamon.
- In another medium bowl, whisk to combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat sugars, coconut oil and eggs until smooth. Fold in flour mixture then the apple mixture.
- Fill a greased bundt pan* and press batter into creases. Bake at 325˚ for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes and then gently flip onto a cake stand or cake plate.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- Beat ingredients together until smooth. Pour over top of bundt cake then top with nuts and serve.