You'll love these delicious and easy Apple Dumplings made with crescent rolls and Mountain Dew! Top with ice cream for a delicious dessert made with fresh apples. A favorite fall recipe for apple picking season.
★ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ★
You'll love this easy recipe for apple dumplings. It's a super simple recipe made with crescent roll dough, granny smith apples, butter, cinnamon, sugar and Mountain Dew!!
This recipe makes a large batch so it's a great Thanksgiving dessert or fall treat.
Topped with vanilla ice cream these will hit all the right notes.
Kids love to help make these crescent roll apple dumplings.
This recipe is a fall favorite. And its kid-friendly too! Add to the fun by picking your own apples.
But if you're past that point in the season, or just would rather the convenience of store bought, lucky for us, you can buy apples any time of the year.
Kids love rolling up the apple wedges in the dough and placing them in the baking pan. They also love to help stir and add the sugar of course.
Older kids can help pour on the Mountain Dew since you want to be careful to pour around the dough as much as possible to prevent soggy dough.
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
All you need is 7 ingredients to make this yummy apple cinnamon dessert:
- Pillsbury crescent roll dough. Or store brand crescent rolls work fine too.
- Granny Smith apples. I like to use this kind of apple because they are tart and that goes really well with the sweet, lemon-lime filling.
- Cinnamon. Ground cinnamon is all you need. (not cinnamon sugar)
- Nutmeg (optional). A little bit of nutmeg adds a nutty and scent flavor which I feel like really makes this dish comforting.
- Butter. This combine with sugar and soda, magically creates as sauce as it bakes.
- White sugar. You can substitute some or all with brown sugar for a touch of caramel-molasses flavor.
- Mountain Dew. Or another lemon-lime soda. Sprint, 7-up or store brand sodas all work. You can use diet soda, however your filling will end up a little runny so non-diet works best.
Optional Ingredients: Nuts, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, whipped cream and powdered sugar.
★ How to Make these Apple Dumplings ★
These dumplings are quick to prep, here are the basic steps:
- Wrap apple slices in dough and place in a greased baking pan.
- Melt butter with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour cinnamon butter and Mountain Dew over dough-wrapped apples.
- Bake then serve topped with vanilla ice cream.
★ Tips & FAQs ★
Use an apple slicer to save time.
I'm not big on kitchen gadgets but if you make this recipe a lot, then investing in a simple apple sliver will save a bunch of time and will create perfectly sized wedges for you each time.
Granny Smith apples are best, but any will do.
I love the tart taste of granny smith apples but if you prefer a more mild of different flavored apple, by all means, go with your favorite.
What if you can't find Mountain Dew?
What you really need is something with some carbonation and real sugar. So, nothing diet. Diet Mountain Dew will not work. Gotta be the real deal.
Now, if you're having trouble finding it, you can substitute any lemon-lime carbonated drink with real sugar in its place.
Try white or brown sugar.
If you want to experiment, you can substitute some or all of the sugar for brown sugar. You'll get a darker brown sauce and some hints of molasses flavor when you use brown sugar. Brown sugar may give you a little more caramel-like flavor as well. So if you're into that, give it a try!
Top your dumplings with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce or nuts.
While you're at it, maybe some whipped cream too!
You can load these up with toppings or just enjoy them in their basic form. I find them really wonderful with just a simple sprinkle of powdered sugar but I do love them with a scoop of ice cream too.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
Love easy desserts?
Easy Apple Dumplings with Crescent Rolls and Mountain Dew
- 2 granny smith apples
- 2 tubes crescent rolls
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 oz Mountain Dew (or other citrus soda)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Few pinches of nutmeg
- Powdered sugar to taste
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, nuts and/or caramel sauce
- Peel and core apples. Slice each apple into 8 wedges.
- Wrap each apple quarter in a crescent roll and place each dumpling in a buttered baking dish. 9x12 size works best.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour butter sauce over dumplings completely covering each one.
- Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan and in between the dumplings but not on top to the dumplings so the they don't get soggy.
- Bake at 350˚ for 35 minutes or until dumplings become golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Add a scoop of ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, nuts and/or caramel sauce to each plate as desired.