This authentic yogurt cake is really easy to make and has amazing flavor.
Hey guys! So it’s almost spring. Yay-yeah! Note from the photos above that my photo studio has official moved outdoors for the season. Oh, sunlight how I have missed you in so many ways.
During these past several more wintery months, I’ve been exploring some new forms of cooking by taking classes, trying new recipes and watching my favorite lady cook, Nigella. She’s so fun to watch with her English accent and her love for Italian foods. She is the best at making cooking look so effortless and I just love how she describes food. You can tell she has a true passion and talent for cooking. I highly recommend checking out her series. So far, she has only a handful of episodes and I am dying for more! I’ve tried a number of her recipes and they have all knocked my socks off.
This Italian yogurt cake is one of her recipes, slightly tweaked to my liking, and is surprising easy (and fun!) to make and has such a rich, authentic-Italian gourmet taste. I think you’re going to love it.
Italian Yogurt Cake
- ¾ cup vanilla yogurt 6 oz cup
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup cooking oil
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest from ½ lemon
- ¾ cup corn starch
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- Powdered sugar topping
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks in two different bowls. Beat the egg whites until peaks are formed then set aside.
- Beat together the egg yolks, yogurt and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add oil to egg yolk mixture then vanilla and lemon zest. Next beat in flour and corn starch.
- Finally, fold the whipped egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Grease a pie pan and pour batter in. Bake at 350˚ for 30-35 minutes or until center is just firm.