This easy recipe for black bottom cupcakes is made with cake mix saving time and ingredients. You'll love the chocolate chips combined with a touch of cheesecake filling! A delicious little treat for Valentine’s day or any other special occasion.
Tired of making the same old pan of brownies for dessert just because it's easy? Try mixing things up without too much more effort with this simple recipe for delicious black bottom cupcakes.
Black bottom cupcakes are made of chocolate cake and chocolate chips with a dollop of sweetened cream cheese baked into the middle. Kind of like a collaboration between chocolate cake, a chocolate chip cookie and cheesecake. A tasty little trio of flavors!
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
This recipe is much easier than other recipes you'll find but still tastes amazing! The shortcut we're using to save time is starting with chocolate cake mix.
I grew up eating these at family barbecues. They make a great dessert to bring to a potluck or any family gathering. Kids and grown ups both love them!
A fun Valentine's Day Dessert
If you can shape the cream cheese a little as you add it to each cupcake, they end up looking like little hearts on top — making these cupcakes a perfect little treat for Valentine's day!
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
This recipe is super simple. You need just 8 ingredients.
- Cake mix. Any chocolate cake mix work but devil's food cake is nice and rich and makes these taste extra yummy.
- Chocolate chips. You can use regular sized or mini. If you want to dot the cream cheese topping with a few chocolate chips, set aside about ¼ cup instead of mixing them into the batter and sprinkle a few on top right before baking. Mini chocolate chips work best if you plan to do this.
- Cream cheese. I find whipped cream cheese blends more easily but you can use a block too.
- Eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla extract, salt and oil. Standard cake ingredients. Nothing special required here.
- Water. You can use water or for more rich cupcakes, try substituting water with milk.
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
The full recipe is detailed below but here's a snapshot of what's involved in making these scrumptious cupcakes:
- Combine cream cheese, 1 egg, sugar, vanilla and salt together in a bowl.
- Separately, combine cake mix with water (or milk), oil, remaining eggs and chocolate chips.
- Fill lined baking cups with chocolate batter
- Add a spoonful of cream cheese mixture on top.
- Bake, let cool, then dig in!
★ Tips & FAQs ★
Do black bottom cupcakes need to be refrigerated?
Yes. Black bottom cupcakes contain cream cheese which requires refrigeration to prevent spoilage.
How to Store Black Bottom Cupcakes
You can refrigerate or freeze black bottom cupcakes.
Place cupcakes in a container, which does not have to be airtight. Actually a little bit of airflow will prevent these from getting soggy. So you could crack the lid and store these in a wide, flat container.
Do not stack them as they may stick together if you do.
These black bottom cupcakes will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
While baked goods are generally best fresh, you can freeze these if you have leftovers. These cupcakes can be frozen for up to a month without loosing a lot of quality. Just thaw to room temperature right before serving.
Black Bottom Cupcakes
- 8 oz cream cheese whipped
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg divided
- 1 package devils food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚ and line or grease pan.
- Beat cream cheese, 1 egg, sugar, vanilla extract and salt together in a bowl until combined and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix devils food cake with water, vegetable oil, the remaining 3 eggs and chocolate chips just until combined.
- Line your cupcake pan and fill each cup ½ full with the chocolate batter. Then add a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on top.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted into the center of the non-cheesecake part of the cupcake, comes out clean.