This old-fashioned side dish made with cucumber, tomato, onion and apple cider vinegar is updated with a touch of honey and lemon plus fresh mint and basil. It's a delicious and refreshing salad that's easy to toss together with dinner or serve as a side dish for a potluck.
☆ Why You'll Love this Recipe ☆
There are so many things to love about this side dish! It's perfect for summer because this cucumber tomato salad incorporates fresh-picked, garden veggies and herbs — some of summer's sweetest little treasures.
This herbed cucumber and tomato salad is something I look forward to as soon as gardening season hits. It's so easy and healthy and DELICIOUS!!!
However, we are lucky enough to have access to fresh vegetables and herbs year-round so you can make this veggie side dish any time of the year.
This fresh side dish goes with just about any meal. I love to throw this together for weeknight meals. I always make a big batch because it stores well for a few days in the fridge.
☆ Ingredients You'll Need ☆
This salad is super simple. You just start with fresh veggies and then toss them in a quick and simple homemade dressing.
Here's everything you need:
- Cucumbers. You can use regular cucumbers or English cucumbers which are small and are more dry (smaller, less watery seeds).
- Tomatoes. Roma or grape tomatoes work best as they aren't super watery.
- Onion. You can go with white, yellow or red onion. Red onions are a bit more mild, then white, then yellow are the strongest.
Then the dressing!
For the dressing you'll mix together:
- Honey. Or you can use agave nectar for a more mild flavor.
- Fresh mint. Grow your own or you can buy from the store.
- Fresh basil. Again, homegrown or you can buy but fresh is best.
- Vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a great option but you can also use white vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- Oil. You can use olive oil, avocado oil, or grape seed oil. These all have a nice flavor.
- Lemon juice. Fresh squeezed is best since you'll get more flavor but you can also use bottle lemon juice if that's more convenient.
- Salt and pepper. Add this to taste!
The combination of basil and mint in this homemade honey-lemon vinaigrette is what really makes this cucumber and tomato dish really come together! It's fresh and bright with a hint or sweet and tart.
This vinaigrette dressing is a great little back-pocket recipe of mine that goes well on traditional salads and pasta salad too.
Check out my orzo pasta salad that incorporate this dressing if you're a fan.
☆ How to Make this Recipe ☆
If you find yourself with so many tomatoes and cucumbers you don't know what to do with them all, and you're not really wanting to go to great lengths to turn them into a culinary masterpiece... Well then, this very simple recipe is for you!
Here are the basic steps, the full recipe is below:
- Cut up your veggies, peel as needed.
- Whisk together ingredients for dressing.
- Toss cucumber, tomatoes, onions and herbs with dressing.
That's it! So simple.
☆ Tips & FAQs ☆
How to Store Leftovers
Storing this Salad
This salad stores well in the fridge for up to 3 day. Store in an air-tight container.
I do not recommend freezing. The vegetables will loose their crunchy texture.
One of my favorite ways to make and store homemade dressings is using a Mason jar. I just add all the ingredients, shake it up and then pour. I bought some pour caps so that I can make a big batch of dressing and pour out just what I need, then store the rest. So if you want to make extra dressing, this is a great way to store it.
☆ More Recipes You'll Love ☆
Looking for more easy side dish ideas?
Browse all my side dish recipes and be sure to Pin your favorites for later!
Looking to improve your diet?
Herbed Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 2 cucumbers sliced & halved
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes
- ¼ small white or red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon grape seed or avocado oil
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together oil, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper to make dressing.
- Combine cucumber, tomatoes, onions and herbs in a bowl and toss with dressing.