These adorable lemon bars are a bright and cheerful dessert for any occasion. Buttery cookie crust is layered with tangy lemon filling then topped with toasted coconut flakes. This easy 3-ingredient dessert offers an enjoyable blend of citrusy zest and tropical sweetness in every bite.
These lemon-coconut bars are unbelievably easy to make, using just 3 main ingredients! They look amazing on a dessert table and they taste oh-so-good too.
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
Imagine a buttery-sweet and soft sugar cookie crust layered with velvety lemon filling topped with lightly toasted coconut adding a subtle tropical twist to this bright and cheerful dessert.
There take just 5 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake making them about as easy as making a package of brownies.
These easy lemon dessert bar are a great go-to recipe for summer picnics, Easter dessert, or for celebrating a summer birthday.
If you're a fan of lemon curd, you can use that to top your sugar cookie layer. Try my easy lemon curd recipe.
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
You will need 3 main ingredients plus garnishes to complete this dessert.
Before you begin, you'll need to gather:
- Sugar cookie dough. You can grab ready-made sugar cookie dough at almost any store that, because it's such a simple dough, tastes just as good as homemade and saves a ton of time.
- Lemon creme or pie filling. This comes in a can and is found in the baking aisle. You can also use lemon curd which i easy to make and is made with eggs so it's a little more rich and fluffy than pie filling. To make your own lemon curd, see my easy lemon curd recipe. Although it can be hard to come by, you can sometimes find lemon curd ready-made along with the jams and jellies.
- Shredded coconut. You can use either sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes. I prefer unsweetened as I don't like my desserts overly saturated with sugar but if you prefer, you can swap in sweetened and it does not change the recipe.
- For garnish: lemon quarters and fresh mint leaves.
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
These lemon-coconut bars comes together with very minimal prep.
Here's a look at how to layer and bake everything:
- Press sugar cookie dough into your baking pan.
- Layer with lemon filling.
- Top with coconut flakes.
- Bake again.
- Garnish once cooled.
I truly can't think of any desserts that look and taste this good with such a simple process.
★ Tips & FAQs ★
What are Lemon Coconut Bars?
Lemon Coconut Bars are a delightful dessert consisting of layers of buttery crust, tangy lemon filling, and a generous topping of coconut flakes. These bars offer a perfect blend of citrusy zest and tropical sweetness in every bite.
How should I store these Lemon Coconut Bars?
Once completely cooled, store the bars in an airtight container. They should be stored in the refrigerator. Separate with wax paper or plastic wrap as needed. They can be kept for up to 3 days.
These bars are freezer-friendly. Thaw to room temperature before serving. They should thaw within about 45 minutes to an hour.
Can I make Lemon Coconut Bars ahead of time?
Yes! Lemon Coconut Bars are a great make-ahead dessert. Prepare and bake them in advance, then store them in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve. Be sure to allow the bars to cool completely before covering and refrigerating.
What if I don't like coconut?
You can replace the coconut with a generous layer of powdered sugar. This is best applied right before serving and after the bars have completely cooled so the powdered sugar doesn't get absorbed into the lemon filling.
What occasions are best to serve these lemon bars?
Lemon-coconut Bars make a cheerful addition to any occasion. They are perfect for birthdays, baby showers, picnics, brunch or as a sweet ending to a family dinner. Their sunny yellow color makes them ideal for summer occasions but can be enjoyed year-round.
Consider cutting them into smaller squares for bite-sized portions at larger gatherings.
How do I achieve the perfect crust texture?
To achieve a perfect crust, make sure to evenly press the crust mixture into the baking pan. Bake the crust alone first before adding the lemon filling to ensure it's firm and golden. This helps maintain a delightful contrast with the softer filling.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
More Easy Desserts
Browse all my dessert recipes and be sure to Pin your favorites for later!
Coconut Lemon Bars
- 16 oz sugar cookie dough
- 8 oz lemon creme pie filling
- 2 cups shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 lemon sliced and quartered
- 1 sprig of mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 baking dish or line with parchment paper.
- Press cookie dough evenly into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes then remove from the oven. Note: It will not be completely cooked.Allow to cool about 5-10 minutes (speed up cooling by placing in fridge if desired). You want the dough to be cooled so that the lemon layer doesn't absorb into the dough.
- Spread an even layer of lemon filling over the cooled cookie dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with shredded coconut. Bake for an additional 10 minutes then remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.Refrigerate, once cooled, until ready to serve.