This easy and delicious southwest corn dip is served cold with chips. Made with southwest corn and taco seasoning. Always a hit! Perfect for summer or enjoy it hot during cold months.
It's a fiesta in your mouth! This Southwest Corn Dip, served cold or hot, is perfect for parties or as a snack while watching movies and games on TV.
During the summer, this is a great snack to take to the beach or out on a boat.
★ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ★
This recipe is crowd favorite yet is such an easy dip to whip up.
It's a chilled, cold dip so it travels well on ice, perfect for taking to parties, out on the boat or to enjoy outside by the pool, or on a picnic.
Ready to eat in 10 minutes!
Seriously. Chop the green onions, open some packages then toss everything in a bowl and stir. Just add corn chips and you're in business!
I serve this in a dip bowl topped with green onions as a garnish and then place that bowl on a large plate. It's like an instant chips and dip plate without having to store a big platter thing.
Try it hot!
You can enjoy this dip hot as well. Simply heat it up on the stove top in a pot, or you can even heat it in the microwave.
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
This yummy Mexican corn dip is made using just 7 simple ingredients!
Here's everything you need:
- Southwest corn. This is a canned corn blend that includes poblano and red peppers. You could also use fresh corn and fresh peppers but using this canned variety saves a lot of time.
- Taco seasoning. I use Taco Bell seasoning but use your favorite brand or mix up your own blend of taco spices if you're into that!
- Cheddar cheese. I use pre-shredded cheese to save time. You could shred your own if you prefer.
- Green onions. These give so much flavor and also add a bit of crunchy texture. Don't leave these out!
- Cream cheese. You could also use neufchatel cheese to reduce fat.
- Sour cream. Again, you could opt for light sour cream to reduce fat.
- Mayonnaise. All you need is a touch of mayo to thin it out this dip to make it perfect for scooping with chips. You can opt for light mayo to lower fat.
★ How to Make this Mexican Corn Dip ★
This corn dip is very easy to make.
Basically, just combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir!
To prep everything, here's what to do:
- Chop green onions.
- Drain southwest corn.
- Combine corn, cheese, taco seasoning, mayo, sour cream and cream cheese.
- Top with green onions and serve with chips or Fritos.
Easy! For the full recipe with measurements, see below.
Watch the video below the recipe to see how to make and serve this dip.
Serving It Hot
This dip is generally served cold but you can heat it up and enjoy is warm or even piping hot if you prefer! Simply combine dip ingredients (minus the green onions) and heat in a pot over medium heat, stirring until warmed. Add green onions as a garnish right before serving.
You can also use the microwave instead of the stovetop. Combine everything minus the green onions in a microwavable bowl, heat in 30-second increments,stirring in between, until heated through.
★ FAQs & Tips ★
Is Mexicorn the same as Southwest corn?
No but they are similar. Mexicorn is canned corn made with red and green bell peppers whereas Southwest corn is made with red peppers and green poblano peppers.
The seasoning is also different. Southwest corn uses chili spice so tastes a bit spicier.
If you cannot find Southwest corn, you can use Mexicorn as a substitute since the flavor is very similar.
Storing and Transporting
Transporting - Now, this is a great little dip to take to a party. So if this becomes your go-to dish for bringing to parties—telling ya' it's so easy and everyone loves it! Then, if that's the case, you may want to invest in a chips and dip serving tray with a lid to go.
Storing - This dip stores well in the fridge for several days. It's best served within a few hours of making it, but if you want to make it ahead, just keep it cold in the fridge then give it a few stirs to freshen it up before serving.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
Check out my other dip recipes while you're here!
Southwest Corn Dip (Cold)
- 30 oz southwest corn (including poblano and red peppers) 2 cans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon taco seasoning more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 4 green onions chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- Tortilla chips for dipping
- Drain excess liquid from southwest corn and add to large mixing bowl.
- Add cheddar cheese, taco seasoning, sour cream, mayo, cream cheese and chopped green onions (reserving a few for garnish). Toss until well mixed.
- Spoon dip into a serving bowl and place tortilla chips around the bowl, on a large plate or platter for dipping. Top dip with a sprinkle of chopped green onions for garnish. Enjoy!