These chocolate lava cakes harness the delicious power of Nutella for the perfect chocolate-hazelnut flavor! This fancy, special-occasion dessert is meant to be enjoyed warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Add fresh strawberries and/or bananas for the perfect compliment to this Nutella-lover’s dream dessert.
This dessert is so easy yet is worthy of celebrating an anniversary, birthday or other special day.
What ingredients are needed?
You’ll need plenty of eggs as well as some additional egg yolks for richness. Chocolate chips, Nutella hazelnut spread, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, flour, and a little butter for the ramekins so they slide out easily on the first try.
This recipe is not a ton of ingredients! I’ve seen other recipes out there with fewer ingredients but I think you sacrifice some flavor and texture. These cakes have full depth of flavor and that drippy lava-like center with cake outer shell.
So this is still a super easy recipe with very few ingredients but I won’t leave out anything that takes away from the flavor.
You will need a set of ramekins.
You’ll want a set of 4 standard sizes ramekins that are oven safe. If you don’t have ramekins, you could potentially use a muffin tins but you’d need to make them one as a time or use a cupcake liner in order to easily get them out and flip them onto a plate.
Don’t have ramekins. No worries you can find them are most cooking stores or shop ramekins on amazon.
Garnish with strawberries, bananas and/or mint leaves.
Strawberries make a really pretty garnish and are great for that romantic vibe. They also taste wonderful with the Nutella and chocolate. A combination of strawberries and bananas also looks nice and tastes great. Bananas along won’t look as pretty but they do taste lovely.
Raspberries is another option that looks and tastes great. Truly any fruit works.
However, if you’re fresh out of fresh fruit and happen to have a mint leave, that make a fun garnish too.
Other Topping Ideas
Since these Nutella lava cakes are perfect for celebrating special occasions, have some fun matching the toppings to you occasion!
Celebrating an anniversary? Try ice cream with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and two sparklers!
Celebrating a birthday? Try ice cream and colorful sprinkles!
Celebrating Valentine’s Day or another holiday? Try holiday themed sprinkles!
You truly can’t go wrong here.
Love easy desserts?
Me too! I have lots more ideas for you.
Chocolate-Nutella Lava Cakes
- ½ cup butter plus more to grease ramekins
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 4 strawberries
- 1 banana sliced (optional)
- Grease 4 ramekins with butter and set on a baking sheet.
- In a large glass bowl, microwave butter, chocolate chips, and Nutella for 1 minute. Stir with a fork until combined.
- Stir in powdered sugar until dissolved.
- Stir in eggs, egg yolks, vanilla.
- Stir in flour.
- Fill each ramekin with an even amount of the batter. Bake at 475˚ for 17-19 minutes or until tops are no longer shiny. Remove from oven. Using rubber tongs, carefully move hot ramekins to a cutting board and let cool for 1 minute.
- Slide a butter knife along the outside edge of each of the cakes in the ramekins to loosen.
- Place a plate, upside down on top of each ramekin, then turn over so that the cake drops from the ramekin onto the plate. Gently shake to loose if necessary being careful not to break the cake!*
- Top each cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and strawberries then serve immediately!