This cookie recipe for for Mexican wedding cakes actually comes to you courtesy of my 9th grade Spanish teacher! We learned how to make them as part of a lesson and I have been making these delicious cookies for many years since. Thanks, Señora Schaffer wherever you are now!
A Deliciously Easy Cookie
These cookies are very easy to make and they melt in your mouth! You can make them with large or small chunks of pecans. I prefer finely chopped pecans for a more smooth texture.
There are so many other names for Mexican wedding cakes!
For some reason these cookies go by a number of different names. I’ve heard people call them: Pecan Sandies, Butterballs, Snowball cookies, Polvorones, Russian Tea Cakes, Swedish Tea Cakes, Moldy Mice (kinda weird ha ha). How can one cookie have so many different names?!
I admit though. I even call them by different names. I’m making these around the holiday, I like to call them snow ball cookies. Any other time of the year, I usually call them Mexican wedding cakes. Too funny.
Curious about why are they called Mexican wedding cakes? Read about the history and the significance of these Mexican wedding cakes.
Can Mexican wedding cake be frozen?
Yep! So, if you want to make a double or triple batch, go for it! You can freeze extras and just let them thaw before serving.
Making these Mexican wedding cookies as a part of your holiday baking?
These cookies, I think since they look like snowballs and they are so well-liked, are a Christmas cookie favorite. If you’re doing a lot of holiday baking this year, be sure to check out my other cookie recipes and also my holiday yule log recipe!
Making these Mexican wedding cake cookies for a shower?
You might also like my pink sherbet punch recipe.
These cookies would also be super cute for a Frozen themed birthday party!
Helpful tools for making this recipe
- Cookie scoop – for perfect portioning of your dough
- Baking sheets
- Large mixing bowls
- Food processor or cooking mallet for finely chopping pecans
- Hand mixer – get a good one! I love my KitchenAid hand mixer and they’re very affordable and come in fun colors.
This recipe for Mexican wedding cakes was featured on South Your Mouth!
Mexican Wedding Cakes
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar divided
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup pecans finely chopped
- Beat together softened butter, salt, 1/2 cup powdered sugar (reserving the rest for later) and vanilla. Slowly add flour, then pecans.
- Form cookie dough into 1” balls; arrange on cookie sheet covered in parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven on 350°F for 14-16 minutes or until the edges start to turn light golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes, then dredge cookies in remaining powded sugar; let cool, then dredge once again.