If you have someone who’s allergic to peanuts in out house, like we do, then you are going to make them very happy with this recipe!
Best Tasting Peanut-free Soy Butter Cups
The Mr. is allergic to peanuts so we often try to create recipes for him to try using various peanut alternatives. We’re made him Thai food, “peanut-butter” pie, cookies, PB&J sandwiches and more. He’s always so excited to try these things for the first time! It’s really fun to watch his reaction.
So we’ve tried all of the different peanut-free products we have been able to get a hold of from almond butter to sun butter, even different brands of all the different nuts butters. And what we’ve discovered is, each of them are excellent substitutions for different recipes.
This particular recipe quest was for peanut butter cups. After trying a few types of butters, we found Wow (soy) butter to be the best tasting choice for this particular recipe. Particularly the crunchy Wow butter, but you could also use creamy if you prefer.
Do these taste like a Reese’s peanut butter cup?
Nope. Not really. They are a bit more gourmet. These are lightly sweetened using maple syrup and have a hint of coconut if you choose to use that vs. avocado oil. You can opt for avocado oil, if you’re looking for a more of a neutral taste though and you could replace the maple syrup with sugar or honey if you want to adjust that flavor.
If you really want a Reese’s style cup, let me know and I’ll work on a recipe for that.
For us, we really loved the taste of these. Even though they have a dark chocolate flavor, the kids loved them and the Mr. gobbled them up!
Making these for a second time, try adding some twists!
If these become a favorite at your house as quickly as it did at our house, then you may want to make these again. Here are some ways you can change up the flavor a bit:
- Try topping with a small dollop of jelly. It’s OK it it pokes out of the top a bit!
- Try adding a spoonful of heavy cream or half and half to the chocolate for a milk chocolate style cup
- Try adjusting the amount of cocoa powder for a less or more chocolatey taste. You can even leave it out all together for a white chocolate experience! I would add in a touch of heavy cream or half and half in this case to add some richness.
- Try other types of filling. Soy butter is excellent but almond butter, sunflower butter or other peanut-free choices work well also.
Making peanut butter cups from scratch is actually easy!
It truly only take 5 minutes of prep and a bit of cooling time to make these. You’ll be surprised how easy they are! Even if you do not have a peanut allergy, you could make these during the holidays or at any time of the year as special treat to enjoy and share.
Easy enough for kids to make!
This recipe can be made in just a few minutes, with a handful of ingredients, and a couple of simple steps. Great for kids learning to make something they enjoy eating, from scratch!
Peanut-free Soy Butter Cups
- ¾ cup coconut or avocado oil melted
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp real maple syrup
- Pinch of table salt
- 12 tbsp crunchy Wowbutter soy butter
- Coarse sea salt for topping
- In a glass bowl melt oil then whisk in cocoa powder, maple syrup, and pinch of table salt.
- Line a cupcake tin with 12 cupcake liners. Spoon liquid chocolate into each cupcake liner, using a cookie scoop.
- Add 1 tablespoon of crunchy Wow butter to each and gently press it down to flat it out.
- Spoon remaining liquid chocolate over each cup so it just covers the top of Wow butter layer.
- Chill soy butter cups in the fridge for 5 minutes, then sprinkle each cup with a pinch of sea salt while they're still warm but have firmed a bit. Replace in fridge for another 5 minutes to set chocolate. Enjoy right away or store at room temperature.