This buffalo ranch chicken soup was inspired by a silly thing my coworkers and I used to look forward to. We called it “Buff Chick” day.
Pennsylvania loves all things buffalo chicken.
I was lucky enough to work at place that had a cafeteria and an ever changing menu. My coworkers and I would always get pretty stoked when we saw buffalo chicken ion the menu for the day. The cafeteria eventually caught on to the popularity when lines started forming around the corning so this little menu item started making a regular appearance.
I’m not sure if it’s because we are so close to Buffalo, NY or what but people in our town love some buffalo chicken. On most local menus you can find a buffalo chicken sandwich, buffalo chicken wraps, buffalo chicken wings, buffalo chicken salad and even, you guessed it — buffalo chicken soup.
Pennsylvania also loves all things with ranch dressing.
The other thing Pennsylvania people love is ranch dressing. You can find ranch dressing on salads, served as a dip, as a rub, and even on pizzas! Coincidentally ranch and buffalo are two flavors that together quite well!
And so this buffalo-ranch chicken soup was born. It’s spicy hot thanks to a heavy dose of Frank’s hot sauce. Yet it’s creamy and rich thanks to the ranch dressing.
Rotisserie chicken or cook your own
I usually like to start with a rotisserie chicken when I make chicken soup, but in this case, you might as well cook a whole chicken and make your own stock because carrots and celery are the perfect complement to buffalo chicken. Mmmm mmh.
If you’re getting bored with the same old chicken soups, then this buffalo ranch chicken soup is a must-try!
If you love this buffalo chicken soup, then you’ll love one of my other favorite party dishes to make, buffalo chicken dip.
This Buffalo Ranch Chicken Soup was featured on Menu Plan Monday!
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 carrots sliced
- 4 stalks celery sliced
- 1 onion quartered w/ skin on
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 chicken bullion cubes
- 1 cup Franks hot sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 8oz package cream cheese
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Cut chicken in half using kitchen shears and place in Crock-pot. Add celery, carrots, onion, salt and water. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 or until chicken is cooked through.
- When cooked, remove chicken and shred. Remove cooked onions and save for another recipe. Place shredded chicken back in Crock-pot with carrots and celery.
- Stir in chicken bullion, hot sauce, butter, cream cheese, ranch dressing and cheddar cheese. Add salt and/or more hot sauce to taste. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes then serve.