★ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ★
You won’t believe me until you’ve tried this recipe for yourself, but I’m telling you I’ve discovered the secret ingredient to the best soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies. I’m talking perfectly tanned bottoms, moist and chewy from top to bottom and the perfect balance of fluff and richness.
★ The Secret Ingredient ★
The Secret to Super Soft Cookies. Just ONE ingredient.
You’re here because you want to know just what it is that makes the very best batch of super soft chocolate chip cookies! Well, I’ll tell you what it’s not first. It’s not melted butter. And it’s not sour cream, although that’s something I might try because it sounds interesting.
Ready for the big secret? There’s an ingredient that will make your cookies extra flexible and soft.
It’s corn syrup. That’s it! That, my friend, is the secret ingredient to the best SOFTEST chocolate chip cookies.
It truly is a magic ingredient that took me years to learn about. Apparently it’s cookie baking’s best kept secret.
Do not get it confused with high fructose corn syrup and go running for the hills. Just plain old corn syrup. 0 grams of fat and 10 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons. And you can even use light corn syrup.
★ All the Ingredients You’ll Need ★
You’ll need most of the normal stuff but the difference will be made with the one secret ingredient — the corn syrup!
- All purpose baking flour. I actually really like to use a half and half blend of white and whole wheat flour. I like the taste and texture of the whole wheat flour but if that’s not your thing, then you can just use all white flour.
- White sugar.
- Brown sugar. You can go light or dark. Dark has extra molasses flavor so if you’re into that, go for dark.
- Eggs. I like the taste of orgnaic, cage-free eggs. The are typically fed a diet of corn and soy and that makes for tastier, more yellow yolks.
- Sea salt. The extra flavor of sea salt vs. regular table salt adds a really nice touch to these cookies.
- Butter. Go with full-fat butter over margarine for the best flavor. A better quality butter will usually give you a more rich, creamy flavor.
- Baking soda. Any kind is fine, just make sure it’s not old and expired or it may not give you that fluff.
- Chocolate chips. Go gourmet! Or go mini. Anything other than the normal chip will add a novel element to these cookies setting them apart from regular, boring cookies. 🙂 Toll House Chocolate chips are fine but if you want to upgrade, splurge for the gourmet chocolate chips like Ghiradelli.
★ FAQs ★
How many cookies does this recipe yield?
Enough to share!
Yield is 3 dozen, so I hope you have friends who like cookies. I mean, I hope you have friends. Who doesn’t love cookies? Especially the best chocolate chip cookies in the universe.
Are these better than Martha’s Cookies?
Just a side note, apparently even Martha Stewart doesn’t know about this secret ingredient. If only she did, maybe her recipe would have received 5 stars instead of 4. Boom!
You be the judge though. Try both recipes and do a blond taste test for fun!
★ More Recipes You’ll Love ★
The Secret Ingredient for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 sticks butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or you can use more all purpose flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 10 oz dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup pecans optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and two sugars together. Add corn syrup, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, sea salt and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips (and pecans if desired).
- Using a cookie scoop, spoon onto baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet and bake at 350˚ for 10-12 minutes or until middle is just set (not shiny). Remove from oven and let cool. Remove with a thin metal spatula.