You’ll love this easy recipe for apple dumplings made with crescent rolls and Mountain Dew!
Kids love to help make these easy apple dumplings!
This recipe is a fall favorite. And its kid-friendly too! Add to the fun by picking your own apples.
But if you’re past that point in the season, or just would rather the convenience of store bought, lucky for us, you can buy apples any time of the year.
The kids love rolling up the apple wedges in the dough and placing them in the baking pan. They also love to help stir and add the sugar of course.
Older kids can help pour on the Mountain Dew since you want to be careful to pour around the dough as much as possible to prevent soggy dough.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make this Easy Apple Dumpling Recipe
All you need is 7 ingredients: Pillsbury crescent rolls, granny smith apples, cinnamon, nutmeg (optional), butter, sugar and Mountain Dew (or other lemon-lime) soda.
Optional Ingredients: Nuts, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, whipped cream and powdered sugar.
Watch the video to see how easy these apple dumplings are to make.
Use an apple slicer to save time.
I’m not big on kitchen gadgets but if you make this recipe a lot, then investing in a simple apple sliver will save a bunch of time and will create perfectly sized wedges for you each time.
Granny Smith apples are best, but any will do.
I love the tart taste of granny smith apples but if you prefer a more mild of different flavored apple, by all means, go with your favorite.
What if you can’t find Mountain Dew?
What you really need is something with some carbonation and real sugar. So, nothing diet. Diet Mountain Dew will not work. Gotta be the real deal.
Now, if you’re having trouble finding it, you can substitute any lemon-lime carbonated drink with real sugar in its place.
Try white or brown sugar.
If you want to experiment, you can substitute some or all of the sugar for brown sugar. You’ll get a darker brown sauce and some hints of molasses flavor when you use brown sugar. Brown sugar may give you a little more caramel-like flavor as well. So if you’re into that, give it a try!
Top your dumplings with vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce or nuts.
While you’re at it, maybe some whipped cream too! You can load these up with toppings or just enjoy them in their basic form. I find them really wonderful with just a simple sprinkle of powdered sugar but I do love them with a scoop of ice cream too.
Want more easy dessert ideas?
- 2 granny smith apples
- 2 8oz cans crescent rolls
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 12oz can Mountain Dew (or other citrus soda)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Few pinches of nutmeg
- Powdered sugar to taste
- Optional toppings: vanilla ice cream whipped cream, nuts and/or caramel sauce
- Peel and core apples. Slice each apple into 8 wedges.
- Wrap each apple quarter in a crescent roll and place each dumpling in a buttered baking dish. 9x12 size works best.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour butter sauce over dumplings completely covering each one.
- Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan and in between the dumplings but not on top to the dumplings so the they don't get soggy.
- Bake at 350˚ for 35 minutes or until dumplings become golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. Add a scoop of ice cream, a dollop of whipped cream, nuts and/or caramel sauce to each plate as desired.