I’ve been wanting to make lemon curd for a long time now and finally got inspired to do it when I saw Joanie Simon’s cute lemon curd nests!
Since I figured I’d keep it easy the first time around, I just made lemon curd as a topping for a cheesecake I had already made. Grab my mascarpone cheesecake recipe here.
So, I’m happy to report, I was able to successfully make lemon curd, my first try and it was just as delicious as I was anticipating!
I used a recipe from Epicures because their recipe called for a lot less sugar than others and didn’t need to separate the eggs. I also reduce the amount of sugar a bit more just so it didn’t turn out too sweet. After making it, I can’t imagine it being more sugary, but I typically like very tart and not too sweet. So, if you do too then you’ll like this recipe.
Lemon curd can typically be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks so make a bunch and you have leftovers!
Here are a few ideas, other than topping cheesecake, for using your lemon curd:
- Make Joanie’s Lemon Meringue Nests
- Use as a topping for crumpets, crepes, waffles, toast or pancakes
- Add it as a layer to your morning yogurt and granola
- Make these Dutch Babies by Tara Teaspoon
- Bake it into a puff pastry along with some cream cheese. Nommmm.
- Make your own lemon curd and poppy seed pop tarts
- Top your pound cake, zucchini bread or carrot cake
- Make shortbread lemon curd thumbprint cookies (Get my easy shortbread recipe here!)
- Serve as a dip with fresh fruit – goes well with anything!
- Eat it by the spoon full!