This barbecue ground pork dinner is a southern-inspired dish that makes for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner.
This dinner recipe uses ground pork steeped in barbecue sauce served over skillet cornbread. The spicy-sweet flavors of the pork compliment the cornbread really well. You’re going to love it and also how easy it is to prep even though it’s homemade.
Is this really easy to make even though I have to make my own barbecue sauce?
YES! You can use bottled barbecue sauce if you don’t have the ingredients on hand, however, if you’ve got everything, it’s very easy to just combine them and stir.
A great use for ground pork.
Using ground pork makes the cooking process really quick and easy. This is really similar to canned Man-wich or sloppy Joes but it’s homemade and tastes a bit more fresh.
Doctor your cornbread mix.
This recipe is actually a two-for. I’ll show you how to make skillet cornbread as well as a basic homemade barbecue sauce for the pork. If you love moist, buttery cornbread, then stay tuned…
What’s the best boxed cornbread to start with?
To make my cornbread, I like to use Krusteaz cornbread mix. I add a few of my own ingredients to liven it up. It has delicious flavor and moisture. You can use whatever corn bread mix you like best but I just really prefer the flavor of their cornbread to the other box mixes out there.
What sides go well with this barbecue pork?
You could serve this with green string beans, corn on the cob, roasted Brussels sprouts, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and/or coleslaw which is great for warmer weather!
Serving a crowd?
This is such a great recipe for feeding a crowd. You can make a large batch and keep it warm in a crockpot. Serve the cornbread in pie-style slices. You can make the sides homemade, or purchase them from your local deli.
Do I need a cast iron skillet?
If you love southern comfort food…
- BARBECUE PORK
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 tbsp Worchestchire sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp chili power
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 15oz box cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 14oz can creamed corn
- 1 4oz can green chilies
- 2 tbsp sour cream optional
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup butter softened reserve to grease pan
- Mix ingredients for cornbread in a bowl until just blended. Smear cast iron skillet with a thick layer of softened butter. Bake at 400˚ for about 20 minutes or until just set in the middle.
- Brown pork in a large skillet or pot and over medium heat, stirring until pork is cooked through. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for about 5 minutes to form the sauce.
- Cut a slice of the corn bread and top with barbecue pork to serve.