Easy and yummy sliders made with rotisserie chicken, store-bought or homemade pesto, and cheese all baked into a soft Hawaiian roll. The garlic-butter topping creates a golden brown crispy top you'll love! Super simple 5-minute prep. Ready to eat in 30 minutes! Perfect for a family gathering, game days, or a holiday potluck!
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
These oven-baked chicken pesto sliders require just 5 minutes of prep and make a perfect appetizer for any gathering.
These little sandwiches also make a nice little lunch for a family and my family would even consider these dinner.
Assemble ahead of time and bake right before serving for a fast meal.
Made with rotisserie chicken, store-bought or homemade pesto and cheese, all baked into a soft Hawaiian roll. The garlic-butter topping adds flavor and the perfect amount of toasted crunch.
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
You'll need a total of just 7 ingredients to make these sliders making prep a breeze.
Here's a look at everything you'll need:
- Hawaiian rolls. You can use savory butter rolls or the more sweeter original Hawaiian rolls. I really like the savory butter rolls but you choose your favorite. Choose Kings Hawaiian or bakery fresh.
- Shredded chicken. You can use leftover chicken, canned chicken or I love to use rotisserie chicken.
- Mozzarella cheese. This cheese adds melty perfection.
- Parmesan cheese. Parmesan adds extra flavor and makes the pesto really pop.
- Basil pesto. You can use store-bought jarred pesto to save time, or whip up your own. If you need a recipe, check out my go-to pesto sauce recipe made with spinach and basil.
- Butter and garlic powder combine forces to create a simple topping you'll brush onto the tops of the rolls to get that crispy, golden-brown perfection.
Optional: You can garnish with fresh chopped parsley before serving if you'd like. I think a little sprinkle of green makes almost any dish look nicer. Great for if you're entertaining and want to dress up this appetizer a bit.
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
These sliders and very easy to make. Here's a look at the steps:
- Slice the rolls.
- Brush with butter-garlic sauce.
- Spread a layer of pesto sauce.
- Add chicken and mozzarella cheese
- Brush with more butter-garlic sauce then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake then garnish if desired before serving.
Super easy! So good. Super simple 5-minute prep.
★ Tips & FAQs ★
Can I use store-bought pesto for chicken pesto sliders?
Using store-bought pesto is definitely a convenient option and can save you time in the kitchen. However, if you have the time, making homemade pesto can add a personal touch and allow you to adjust the flavors to your liking. Try my favorite homemade spinach-pesto recipe.
What kind of rolls work best for these chicken pesto siders?
Soft slider rolls or dinner rolls work best for Chicken Pesto Sliders. You can choose mini brioche buns, Hawaiian rolls, or any other small, soft rolls that can hold the chicken mixture without overpowering the flavors. I prefer the non-sweet Hawaiian rolls but feel free to experiment and go with what you and your family enjoy.
Can I prepare these sliders in advance?
You sure can. To prepare these chicken pesto sliders in advance, just assemble the sliders, cover with foil, and refrigerate until you're ready to bake. This is a great option for party planning and you have a lot of different dishes you are serving. Or if you don't want to have to be prepping while having guests over.
What sides can I serve with Chicken Pesto Sliders?
Other dishes that go well with these sliders include a simple green salad, coleslaw, or a bowl of fresh fruit. Chips, fries, or vegetable sticks with dip are also great choices to complement the flavors of the sliders if serving these as more of a lunch.
Can I customize Chicken Pesto Sliders with additional toppings?
Sure! Feel free to get creative with your sliders. Add sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms or roasted red peppers for extra flavor and freshness. Experimenting with different cheeses can also add a unique twist to the sliders. A drizzle of Italian dressing can also be a nice touch; add after baking.
Are these sliders suitable for a large crowd?
Chicken Pesto Sliders are perfect for serving a crowd. The small, bite-sized portions make them an ideal finger food for parties, gatherings, or any event where you want to offer a tasty and convenient snack.
To keep them warm after baking, place the whole pan on a heated surface, set to warm. Shop food warmers on amazon.
How can I make these sliders vegetarian?
You can create a vegetarian version by substituting the chicken with grilled vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and mushrooms. You can also try using plant-based "meats" in place of the chicken.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
More Football Food
Looking for more appetizers perfect for game day? Browse all my favorite football food.
Chicken Pesto Sliders
- 12 Hawaiian rolls sweet or savory butter
- 5 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2-3 cups shredded cooked chicken adjust the amount to your liking
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Line a baking sheet or 9x12 casserole dish with parchment paper.
- Without separating rolls individually, use a long bread knife to slice the buns (making tops and bottoms). Place bottom layer onto the parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute, stirring halfway.Add garlic powder to the melted butter and stir to combine.Brush, the top of the bottom layer of buns with the butter mixture (using about half of the mixture)
- Spread pesto over the butter layer.Next layer shredded chicken.Top chicken with shredded mozzarella cheese.Place top layer of Hawaiian rolls over the shredded cheese layer.
- Brush tops and edges of the rolls with the remaining butter mixture.Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Cover rolls loosely with aluminum foil. Bake at 325ºF for 15 minutes.Remove foil and continue to cook the sliders for 8-10 minutes or until warmed throughout and tops are golden.
- Slice to separate sliders and serve warm.Sprinkle with some chopped parsley for an optional garnish.