These stained glass sugar cookies are super easy to make, taste so yummy and are so cute!
They're my kids' favorite treat to make for Valentine's Day using heart-shaped cookie cutters. They've become a Valentine's Day tradition in our household.
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
An easy Valentine's Day Cookie Recipe
This is an easy Valentine's Day cookie recipe that's fun but not overly laborious. There are a few steps to making these but starting with packaged sugar cookie mix for the dough saves a little time.
Pretty and Tasty!
These cookies have Jolly Rancher candies melted into the cut-out center giving them a stained glass look when you hold them up to the light. Kids get such a kick out of this!
The Jolly Ranchers and thin enough so that they are slightly chew and not too brittle, making biting into these cute cookies more enjoyable than you might guess.
Perfect for a Valentine's Day Party Treat
These cookies are always a big hit when we send them in as a classroom treat. My kid's classmates hold them up to their eyes and think it's pretty funny that the Jolly Rancher part makes the cookies see through.
If you can't take homemade goods to school because of your school's rules, try sharing with neighbors, friends or family to brighten their Valentine's Day and spread some love!
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
Fun to Make
Not to spoil the surprise but my kids' favorite part is that you get to mash candy with a hammer.
We put them in a sandwich bag, wrap it in a dish towel and use a meat tenderizer to crush the candy. You can also smash them with a heavy rolling pin. Stress relief for parents too! Ha ha
You'll need a big and a small heart-shaped cookie cutter for this recipe.
★ Helpful Tools ★
You'll need a few special things to make these stained glass Valentine's Day cookies:
- Two sizes of heart-shaped cookie cutters
- Cooking mallet
- Rolling pin
- Pastry mat or pastry board or a get fancy with a marble pastry board
- Cookie sheet with silicon liner (or use parchment paper)
- Cookie carrier container with handle - great for taking to school or a party
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
Want more Valentine's Day recipe ideas?
Browse all my Valentine's Day recipes. Pin your favorites!
I think you'll especially love our favorite Valentine's Day after-dinner dessert recipe — heart shaped lava cookies!
Stained Glass Sugar Cookies
- Prepare dough as directed with egg, butter and flour.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough until ¼" thick.
- Use a double heart or a small and a large cookie cutter to create hollow heart cookies. Place hollowed hearts onto cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place like-colored jolly ranchers into plastic bag, cover with a dish towel and hammer until Jolly Ranchers are crushed to pieces.
- Fill centers of hearts with crushed Jolly Ranchers.
- Bake on 350˚ for 7-8 minutes or until edges are slightly golden brown.
- Let cool and remove with spatula.