This lightly creamy tomato tortellini soup is vegetarian and made with healthy kale. A delicious and easy dinner or lunch. Great for serving a crowd. Make it in a crockpot or on the stove.
When it comes to busy weeknights, there's nothing quite like a crockpot meal to make dinner time a breeze.
This creamy tomato-kale tortellini soup is a great go-to! It only takes minutes to get everything in the pot before letting it cook itself. Dinner doesn't get much easier (or tastier!) than this vegetarian crockpot soup!
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
This creamy crockpot tomato-kale tortellini soup is a delicious, versatile, and comforting dish that brings together the best of both creamy tomato soup and cheesy tortellini, making it a standout family favorite.
Quick and Easy Preparation: This recipe is extremely easy to prepare, making it a perfect choice for a quick and delicious meal. With store-bought tortellini, you can cut down on prep time without sacrificing flavor.
Vegetarian Delight: If you're a vegetarian or looking for a meatless option, this soup is a great dinner choice. The cheese-filled tortellini adds a satisfying element of protein, making it a well-rounded and hearty dish.
Customizable: The recipe is highly customizable to suit your taste preferences. Whether you want to add extra vegetables, herbs, or spices, you have the flexibility to make it your own. Toppings like fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, or a drizzle of olive oil can elevate the dish.
You can also add meat if you are not concerned about keeping this vegetarian. Sausage is a nice addition and you can also use rich chicken broth in place of or in addition to the vegetable broth.
Perfect for All Seasons: While the warmth of the soup makes it ideal for colder months, the vibrant tomato flavor ensures it's enjoyable all year round. It's a versatile dish that can be adapted to different seasons and occasions.
Crowd-Pleaser: Whether you're cooking for yourself, your family, or guests, this soup is always a hit. The combination of familiar flavors in a comforting bowl of soup is hard to resist and it's an easy way to feed a group of hungry people!
Balanced and Filling: With the blend of tomatoes, cream, and pasta, this soup strikes a perfect balance between being light and filling. It's a satisfying dish that won't leave you feeling overly heavy.
Aromatic and Inviting: The aroma of tomatoes, herbs, and simmering soup is incredibly inviting. It not only tastes great but also fills your kitchen with a comforting fragrance that adds to the overall dining experience.
Versatile Serving Options: Whether enjoyed as a standalone meal or paired with a side of crusty bread or a fresh salad, Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is versatile enough to suit various serving preferences.
★ Ingredients You’ll Need ★
You only need 9 main ingredients plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Tortellini. Fresh, frozen or dried works. I find the best tasting tortellini is fresh though. You can find fresh pasta in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. We're using cheese but you can choose any filling that sounds good to you.
- Kale. Baby kale is more tender and works well with this recipe. You can also substitute kale with spinach.
- Tomatoes. A can of petite diced tomatoes.
- Cream of tomato soup. This is a condensed soup found in a can.
- Garlic. You can use fresh garlic, garlic paste, or garlic powder.
- Onion. White or yellow onions both work well but you can use red onion for a more mild and sweeter flavored soup.
- Half and half. This adds a layer of richness and creaminess to the soup, balancing out the tomatoes. Sour cream can also be used.
- Vegetable broth. If you're not worried about this being vegetarian, you can use chicken broth.
- Oregano. This spice adds herbaceous flavor to your soup.
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
This recipe comes together in just a few simple steps making this an easy meal that feeds a family.
Here's a look at what you'll need to do:
- Add onion, garlic, tomatoes, cream of tomatoes, broth, tortellini, oregano, salt, and pepper to crockpot.
- Cover and cook.
- Stir in kale and half and half.
Super simple! So yummy!
★ Tips & FAQs ★
This soup can be made in a crockpot or on the stove top.
Choose your method. Slow cooking is a great option to set it and forget it. So if you are going to work, let it cook through the day.
However, if you are in need or a quick and easy meal, you can quickly cook this on the stove top using the same method, just cook over medium-high heat and cut the cook time in half.
Is this Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup recipe suitable for vegetarians?
Yes. This soup features a rich and creamy tomato base with cheese-filled tortellini, and vegetable broth making it a delightful option for those following a vegetarian diet.
Can I use store-bought tortellini for this soup, or should I make it from scratch?
You can use either store-bought or homemade tortellini, depending on your preference and time constraints.
If you're short on time, store-bought fresh tortellini works very well.
However, making your pasta from scratch can add a personal touch and might be a fun culinary adventure.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the soup ahead of time. However, it's recommended to add the tortellini just cooking serving to prevent the pasta from becoming too soft or mushy during storage.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. However, the texture of the tortellini may change so it's best not to freeze leftovers if you can avoid it.
Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What are some optional add-ins or toppings for this soup?
You can customize this soup with various add-ins and toppings.
Consider adding fresh basil, grated Parmesan cheese, a dollop of pesto, or a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
Croutons or a side of crusty bread is great for dipping!
Can I make this soup less creamy if I prefer a lighter version?
Yes! Adjust the creaminess of the soup to your liking by reducing the amount of half-and-half or substituting it with a lighter alternative, such as whole milk.
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
This Crockpot Creamy Tomato-Kale Tortellini Soup was featured on South Your Mouth!
Tomato Kale Tortellini Soup
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can tomato soup
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 20 oz cheese tortellini fresh or precooked
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups chopped kale rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato soup, broth, tortellini, and to a large crockpot and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- After 2 hours, add half-and-half and chopped kale, stir and continue cooking for another 30 minutes or until kale has wilted to your liking.
- Stir before serving.