Add kiwi and yogurt to leftover watermelon and you'll have these fun watermelon popsicles that look like the real deal.
What’s a good way to use up leftover watermelon?
You’re looking at it! These watermelon popsicles. Made with kiwi and yogurt, these are creamy and so satisfying on a hot summer day.
Is it just me or do you always have leftover watermelon? I mean, the things are just huge. That’s totally their charm but I am crazy about not wasting food so I’m always looking for new ways to use up our leftover watermelon in the summer. You may remember my watermelon-lime slushies from last year. Now this year we’re stepping things up a bit with these homemade watermelon popsicles!
What says “summer” more than watermelon popsicles?
These watermelon popsicles just embody summer! They look like watermelon and they are actually made out of watermelon… with a few additions. Kids think this is just so funny. I’m giggling too because they’re finally eating something healthy and they either don’t realize or they don’t care. Woo hoo!
So yeah, these are fun and really easy to make. I made these with vanilla yogurt. You can use regular or Greek yogurt. It doesn’t really matter too much since it’ll be frozen. Regular yogurt is just a little bit more runny so they might not layer as neatly.
A little lime with your watermelon
The little bit of lime really adds to the flavor. Watermelon can be a little overly sweet in my opinion so the lime balance that out. If you don’t have a lime or lime juice handy, it’s okay to skip it.
The yogurt is so yummy! It layers in perfectly for the quintessential watermelon look but it also makes these popsicles taste so yummy and kind of like a creamsicle.
Going for a more realistic looking watermelon popsicles?
Try adding in chocolate chips for the “seeds” if you’d like. I choose not too because I wasn’t sure how chocolate would mix with watermelon and I was trying to keep these pretty healthy. My kids had the idea to add them in though so maybe next time I’ll give it a try.
What you need to make homemade popsicles
You will need a few special tools and supplies to make these:
Want more recipe idea kids will love?
This recipe for homemade watermelon popsicles was featured on South Your Mouth!
Homemade Watermelon Popsicles
- 3 cups frozen watermelon pureed
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 10 tbsp vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 kiwis pureed
- First, you'll want to cut up some watermelon and freeze it. You can start with room temperature watermleon but the color stays more even if you freeze it first. Puree the frozen watermelon along with the lime juice using a blender then spoon into the popsicle molds filling each 3/4 full.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes (or longer if you're starting with juice)
- Remove from freezer and add a tbsp of Greek yogurt to each popsicle. You may need to press the yogurt into the mold to eliminate air pockets.
- Freeze for another 30 minutes.
- Finally, puree the kiwi in a blender and layer that on top of the frozen yogurt. Freeze for at least an hour.
- To serve, run the popsicle container under warm water to loosen from mold. Enjoy!