If you love sweet-tart pies made with fresh fruits, you’ll love this strawberry rhubarb pie.
This summery pie is easy to make and tastes amazing!
What does rhubarb taste like?
If you’ve never had rhubarb before, you might be curious about what this strange plant tastes like and why you’d put it in a pie.
Well, if you’ve never had a strawberry rhubarb pie before you are in for a treat! I’ve found people either love it or hate it. It’s got a sweet-tart taste.
Personally, I’m not a big pie person because they tend to be overly sweet so this is right up my alley. I like how the strawberries mixed with the rhubarb to give it some added flavor. I tried an all-rhubarb pie last year and thought it was too tart and didn’t have a lot of flavor but some people I know really love it.
What ingredients are in Strawberry Rhubarb pie?
You’ll need fresh or frozen strawberries and red or green rhubarb, sugar, tapioca or pectin to thicken the filling, butter and pie crust dough. You’ll also need an egg yolk if you want to egg-wash the pie crust for that beautiful golden finish.
It’s very easy to make so I like to spend the time I save using ready-made pie crust on making the crust look fancy. Creating a lattice crust is surprisingly easy if you follow the right steps. Want to learn how? Here’s how to make a lattice pie crust.
Want more easy dessert ideas?
<div class="mv-video-target mv-video-id-vuoi1ebvshfvebisdlss" data-video-id="vuoi1ebvshfvebisdlss" data-sticky="1" data-autoplay="1" data-volume="15" data-ratio="16:9" ></div>
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 2 ½ cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 ½ cups chopped strawberries
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 egg yolk
- Mix together sugar, flour and tapioca. Add rhubarb and strawberries; toss to coat. Add lemon juice and toss.
- Place one pie crust in bottom of a shallow pie pan and add strawberry rhubarb mixture.
- Dart with butter.
- Add lattice top and brush on egg yolk to coat evenly. How to make a lattice pie crust.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake at 400˚ for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let cool then serve.