This easy crockpot chicken tortilla soup is simple and tastes great! Made with rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken and lots of healthy veggies plus taco seasoning. A touch of sour creamy gives it a creamy flavor. It's so easy to make this soup using your slow cooker.
This easy crockpot chicken tortilla soup is so delicious and so easy it literally cooks itself!
This tasty chicken soup is always a crowd pleaser!
I think you'll love it too. Here's why.
This soup is layered with flavors from vegetables and spices and can be piles high with toppings and enjoyed simply on its own. This tortilla soup has a very mild spice to it but can be heated up with additional jalapeño peppers.
This soup is made in the corkcpot so you can throw everything together in the morning, set the timer and have dinner ready for you when you're done with your days' work.
This soup also makes a great take-to-work lunch. We usually make a big batch so there's plenty of leftovers!
During football season, we take this soup to tailgates. On cooler days, it's a great way to warm up before or while we watch the game.
Ingredients You'll Need
Don't let the long list of ingredient intimidate you; it's all stuff you'll likely already have on hand.
- Rotisserie chicken. I love to start with a fresh cooked chicken but you can also use leftover cooked chicken, canned chicken, grilled chicken, or cook your own chicken using your preferred method and just stir it into this soup.
- Chicken broth.
- Onion. This aromatic vegetable brings compliments all the other flavors in the soup and adds depth to the broth.
- Fire roasted diced tomatoes. You can also use plain diced tomatoes however, the fire-roasted tomatoes add a very subtle smokiness to the overall flavor of this soup.
- Corn. You can use whatever you have. Scraped corn off the cob is my favorite because it has such a nice fresh flavor but frozen corn works too. You can even used canned corn. If using canned corn, I recommending draining and rinsing the corn a few times to remove some of the "canned" flavor. You can use white or yellow corn or a mix of both which add pretty color and also more depth of flavor with the two slightly different types of corn.
- Black beans. Black beans add a hearty and creamy texture with a mild flavor. You can substitute other types of beans as desired.
- Green chilies and/or chopped jalapeño. This is where you can have fun spicing things up! Fresh jalapeños tend to be more spicy whereas green chilis will give your soup a very mild heat.
- Taco seasoning. Using taco meat seasoning is an easy way to add all those yummy spices you'd expect from a tortilla soup. You can add more or less taco seasoning to taste.
- Cheddar cheese. Try shredded cheddar cheese or a blend of Mexican or Taco cheeses.
- Sour cream. A dollop of sour creamy stirred in will add a creamy and slightly tart flavor to your sour a wonderful was to tone down the spices in this soup and add some richness.
- Tortilla strips. You can crush up tortilla chips and sprinkle those on or use full sized chips to scoop bites of soup. You choose! Or leave them off to lower your carbs.
- Fresh avocado. Here's another way to add creaminess to this soup in a healthy way!
Pick up a cooked rotisserie chicken to cut down the cook time. This soup cooks in just 1 hour in the crockpot if you start with a warm, fresh rotisserie chicken.
For easy clean up, try using crockpot liners. Just remove the liner, toss it and wipe down any areas that might have been splashed. No dishes!
★ FAQs ★
How can I adjust the level of spiciness?
You can add extra heat by adding fresh sliced jalapẽos on top if you like spice
The green chilis add a small amount of spice so if a mild amount of spice is what you're after, you should be good with just those. If the soup is too spicy for you with the green chilis, you can reduce the amount or leave them out all together.
How can I add more flavor to this Chicken Tortilla soup?
Want a big boost of flavor? Try mixing in a Bear Creek Tortilla Soup starter.
The Bear Creek mixes are really yummy but can be expensive. So another way to add more flavor is to add more chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder to taste OR more taco seasoning to taste.
Can this soup be made on the stovetop?
Yes! You can follow the same directions as you would for the slow cooker cooking in a large pot on the stove. Bring to a boil then reduce to a summer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until onions are cooked to your liking. I like my onions pretty soft but some people like them a bit crunchy. You choose!
★ More Easy Recipes You'll Love ★
Love soup? Me too!
Browse all my easy soup recipes
Love easy recipes that taste great? Same here!
Get inspired to make something new Browse all my recipes and Pin the ones you want to try.
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 rotisserie chicken, picked
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion chopped
- 8 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 oz black beans
- 4 oz green chilies or 1 chopped jalapeño
- 1 package taco seasoning
- ½ cup cheddar cheese as topping
- ½ cup sour cream as topping
- tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips as topping
- 1 avocado chopped
- Remove rotisserie chicken from bones and chop or shred then add to crockpot. Add a few of the large chicken bones to add flavor to your broth (we'll remove them later).
- Add chicken broth chopped onion, tomatoes, corn, beans, green chilies (or jalapeños), and taco seasoning to crockpot. Stir to combine. Cook for 1 hour with your slow cooker set to high or 2 hours set to low.*
- Serve hot topped with sour cream, cheese, fresh avocado and tortilla strips or chips.