Use turkey, beef, or a mix in this Mediterranean flavored skillet meal. It's perfect if you are growing a variety of herbs in your backyard.
I love the fresh, exotic taste of this Mediterranean turkey skillet dish.
Using ground turkey makes it refreshingly healthy and it's quick enough to make on a weeknight.
This year I'm growing mint, parsley, chives, basil and thyme. I love growing herbs and finding new ways of using them.
I came across this excellent recipe from My Hala Kitchen after doing a search for "turkey mint parsley" which is what I had on hand. I was pretty excited when the dish ended up tasting so good and the hubs and kids actually liked it too. I was able to put a little spin on it, borrowing some flavors from other recipes I've tried, by adding lime juice and feta cheese. Since not all recipes I try are good, I was glad this one was a success so I can now add it to the dinner line up. I'm really trying to branch out here and this was a good step in a new flavor direction!
If you don't already own one, a cast iron skillet is great for this type of dish. The cast iron help hold in heat so your potatoes will cook more evenly and will get a bit more flavor than using a nonstick skillet. They even come preseason and with free shipping (important because they are heavy!)
Tip: If using a cast iron skillet, you may want to add butter as needed. The turkey is low on fat so you won't get that natural nonstick barrier like you would with beef. You may even want to consider going half turkey and half beef for this reason or for a different flavor.
Mediterranean Turkey Skillet
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ½ cups frozen diced potatoes (half of a 32oz bag)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 10 oz grape or cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Mediterranean spice blend
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Add cooking oil, potatoes and onion to a large skillet. Toss to coat potatoes and onions in oil.Heat skillet to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Push potatoes off to the side and add ground turkey. Stir and cook turkey until lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and cook for 1 minute, then add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Season the entire dish with Mediterranean spice blend and lemon juice then remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently fold in mint and parsley and combine all the ingredients in the skillet together.Serve topped with crumbled feta cheese.