Breakfast stuffing casserole is the perfect holiday meal because you can prep it the night before so it's ready to bake first thing in the morning.
The casserole of all casseroles. That’s actually not even a casserole. It’s STUFFING. Breakfast stuffing. It’s exactly as delicious as it sounds.
What is breakfast stuffing?
Take all the things you know and love about traditional Thanksgiving stuffing then add eggs, bell peppers and sausage. Ta-da! You have yourself a tasty breakfast casserole.
You can start with any flavor stuffing but I personally think the sage flavor goes great with sausage.
Lighten things up with turkey sausage.
You can opt for the typical pork breakfast sausage or give turkey sausage a try. Both are delicious. You can change up the flavor of this casserole by choosing flavor stuffing. Try sage, maple, or Italian breakfast sausage. Each on give this dish its own spin.
Make this casserole with leftover stuffing mix!
The shelves will be full or stuffing mix after Thanksgiving. Go ahead and snag a few of those marked down boxes and make this breakfast stuffing!
Add some sauce.
If you want to dress up this breakfast casserole you can top it with Hollandaise sauce. Get my homemade Hollandaise sauce recipe.
You can also easily add a little kick by topping your slice of this casserole with salsa or hot sauce.
Make it ahead.
This is an easy Christmas morning breakfast because you can prep and even bake it the night before. If you fully bake it, you can cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Then microwave each slice for about 30-45 seconds before serving.
Or prepare everything but wait until the morning to bake it. Just cover with plastic and refrigerate for the night. Then remove plastic and bake in the morning.
Need a casserole dish?
This recipe works in any sized casserole dish. I’ve made this in a 9×12 dish or an 8×8 dish. You choose. Just keep an eye on things as it cooks. Bake time may vary depending on the size dish you use.
Want more breakfast ideas?
Breakfast Stuffing Casserole
- 1 lb turkey sausage or bacon
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 oz box stuffing mix sage or any flavor you like
- 1 cup Hollandaise sauce (optional)
- In a skillet or dutch oven, melt 2 tbsp of butter. Add turkey sausage, diced onion and bell pepper. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent and turkey is cooked through.
- Beat together eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add cooked onion, peppers and sausage then shredded cheese and cubed stuffing. Toss to thoroughly coat stuffing.
- Use remaining 1 tbsp butter to grease a small casserole dish. Pour and spread the stuffing mixture evening. Bake at 350˚ for about 20-25 minutes or until all egg appears cooked. Remove from oven, top with and serve!