Maryland crab soup is something anyone can make and enjoy. Made with vegetables, potatoes and a beefy tomato broth seasoned with Old Bay, this tasty soup will hit the spot when you’re craving seafood or something other than the norm.
Where to find Maryland crab for this Maryland Crab Soup
If you aren’t anywhere near Maryland, don’t worry. The beautify of the internet and this modern world is that you can actually order real Maryland jumbo lump crab meat and have it shipped to you. Order fresh crab meat online
Yes, you can use canned crab meat with this recipe.
There is a range of quality when it comes to canned crab meat. I’d recommend splurging on the premium crab meat you can find in the refrigerated seafood section of your grocery store. Premium canned crab meat will taste more fresh and offers bugger chunks of meat. If you can find jumbo lump crab meat, that’s the best kind.
You can also find canned crab meat that’s not refrigerated in the same section as the canned tuna. This crab works too and if usually available at a lower price point. Go with works for your budget and for the level of quality you’re craving.
What ingredients do you need to make this Maryland crab soup?
This crab soup recipe is quite simple and is packed with a variety of veggies including lima beans! Am I think only one who gets excited about lima beans? I think they just work really well in soups.
So here’s everything you need: crab meat, diced tomatoes, beef broth, onion, mixed vegetables (I use corn, lima beans, green beans, carrots, and peas which you can buy frozen or use fresh), diced potatoes, a few bay leaves for added flavor and Old Bay seasoning.
By the way, if you haven’t seen the thread of funny comments made by people who don’t know what a Bay Leaf is, you must read this hilarious post!
What can you serve with this crab soup?
This crab soup is really pretty hearty and eats like a meal making it great for lunch or dinner. If you want a little something extra, you can enjoy with saltine crackers, oyster crackers, corn bread, or Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits! As I mentioned, this soups is packed full of veggies but if you’re a vegetable lover, then you could always pair this soup up with a side salad.
Are you a Maryland crab lover?
I have a couple other crab recipes I think you’ll love! Check them out while you’re here and be sure to pin them for later:
I have lots of easy and delicious soup recipes for you! Look over them all and Pin your favorites for later.
This Maryland Crab Soup with vegetables and potatoes recipe was featured on Menu Plan Monday!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cups mixed vegetables - corn green beans, peas
- 1 8oz can lima beans, drained (or 1 cup frozen lima beans)
- 3 potatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 14oz can petitie diced tomatoes
- 16 oz cooked crab meat
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tbsp Old Bay seasoning to taste
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté diced onion in butter until translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add mixed vegetables and lima beans to onions. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes until thawed.
- Microwave potatoes for 3 minutes to soften then chop into small chunks. *Use caution, potatoes will be hot. Add potatoes to vegetables in pot.
- Stir in beef broth, diced tomatoes, crab meat, bay leaves and Old Bay seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium-low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes before serving.