★ Why You’ll Love this Recipe ★
You’re going to get a kick out of this Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken. Get it? Kick. Like jalapeños are spicy… all puns aside, here’s what’s to love:
This Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken is so easy to make yet tastes delicious and looks impressive!
These stuffed chicken breast are baked right away or you can freeze then bake. A delicious meal that is sure to impress!If you love jalapeno poppers, you’ll love this stuffed chicken recipe!
★ Ingredients You’ll Need ★
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this yummy stuffed chicken recipe:
- Chicken breasts. Fresh, not frozen is best sine you will need yo pound these flat to a nice even thickness.
- Bacon. A good quality bacon will give you more flavor. Choose your favorite brand and seasoning style.
- Cream cheese. I find that the name brand cream cheese has been flavor but go with what works for your budget.
- Cheddar cheese. You can opt for pre-shredded cheese or grate or shred your own from a block. Freshly shredded does melt a bit better and to me has more flavor. But again, go with what works for you depending on how much time you have.
- Jalapeño. Fresh jalapeños from the garden would be awesome but fresh from the store is just as good.
- Cheez-it or Goldfish crackers. Either one! You’ll crush these into breading for the chicken to add a fun color and extra cheese taste.
- Panko crumbs. These are combined with the cheese crackers to give some extra crunch. You can use all cheese crackers if you prefer. Or regular breadcrumbs. Your choice. Regular breadcrumbs won’t be as crunchy.
- An egg. This is just used to bind the crackers to the chicken. I typically recommend organic-fed, hen-laid eggs just because the yolk is much more rich and flavorful. It won’t make or break this recipe but if you can, why not?
- Green onions. These mix into the stuffing to give you that final “pop” of flavor!
That’s it! There’s not a ton of ingredients you need here because each ingredient packs a lot of flavor, making this recipe super easy to pull off!
★ How to Make this Recipe ★
Chicken breasts are pounded flat, stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon, jalapeño peppers and rolled up, dipped in egg and coated in cheese cracker and panko crumbs.
To prepare the stuffing you’ll need to roast the jalapenõs. This sounds tricky but it’s not. Just a 2-step process. Follow the instructions and you’ll be good to go!
Everything else gets mixed together and rolled up into the chicken!
★ Tips ★
Nervous about roasting jalapeños? Don’t be, it’s easy!
I’ll admit I was intimidated at the idea of roasting jalapeños at first too. How would I know they were done? Would the skin really just peel off? Sounds like a lot of work. How about I just sauté them because I know how to do that. But the Mr. convinced me that it was easy. And so I ventured into the unknown world of roasting things. Such as jalapeños. You’ll never guess what happened. I learned that it really was easy. And in a nerdy way, was fun.
So if you’ve never roasted a pepper before, just follow the steps. First blister them in the oven, then steam them in a bag. Peel the skin, remove seeds and stem then chop. That’s it!
Tips for Stuffing Chicken
The key to stuffing chicken is to start by pounding it flat. You want the chicken breast to be a consistent thickness. This will ensure that chicken cooks evenly.
Also, the thinner you pound the chicken, the easier it will be to roll.
Since we’re working with raw chicken, I recommend laying a big sheet of plastic wrap over the chicken before pounding it or putting the chicken into a large ziplock bag to prevent splattering.
★ Shortcuts ★
To save time, you can use bacon bits instead of cooking raw bacon.
To save time, you can use a can of green chilis instead of roast jalapenos. You may not get as much flavor and will not be as spicy.
★ Bonus Dip Recipe ★
Make this Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken as a dip!
You can actually take the stuffing part of this recipe and turn it into a dip! Just add 1/2 cup of sour cream, mayo or Greek yogurt depending how healthy you want to be.
If It’s a great little easy appetizer! Serve with chips, toasted bread, or even chicken nuggets.
★ More Recipes You’ll Love ★
Love all things jalapeño?
You will love these other recipes!
This jalapeño popper stuffed chicken recipe was featured on Wow Me Wednesday!
Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts
- 6 oz whipped cream cheese
- 4 jalapeños
- 6 slices bacon cooked
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup cheese crackers crushed
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 green onions chopped
- Broil bacon on a cookie sheet until crispy. About 2-5 minute depending on the thickness of the bacon. Let cool and chop into bits.
- In the oven with the bacon, place whole jalapeños on a greased sheet of foil. Broil on low for 10 minutes. Flip and broil for an additional 5 minutes. Immediately place in a zip-lock bag, seal and let "steam" for about 5 minutes. Remove from bag and peel off skin, deseed, remove stem and finely chop.
- In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and jalapeños.
- Pound out chicken breast until thickness is even. Spoon 1/3 of jalapeño popper mixture onto the middle of the chicken breast the fold the side over to form a "roll" of chicken. Do this for the remaining chicken breasts.
- In a medium bowl or 9×9 square pan, crack and beat together eggs.
- In another medium bowl, add crushed cheese crackers and panko crumbs. Toss together.
- Carefully dip each stuffed chicken breast into the egg, coating all sides.
- Then move the chicken to the crumbs bowl and dredge each piece of chicken to coat all sides.
- Place stuffed and breaded chicken breasts, seam-side down onto a non-stick or lined baking sheet. Bake at 425˚ for 20-25 minutes and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Serve topped with green onions.