This chicken and dumplings is made from pantry ingredients and you can "cheat" with a can of biscuits. Everything cooks in the crockpot.
This is an excellent, easy recipe for creamy crockpot chicken and dumplings made with flaky biscuit dough.
Everything cooks in the slow cooker!
What ingredients are needed to make this Chicken and Dumplings dinner?
All the ingredients store well and you might even already have them on hand.
You’ll need a whole chicken, garlic, onion, celery, crinkle carrots, chicken stock, cream of chicken soup, and some spices including a bay leaf, garlic salt, pepper and celery seeds. All that cooks in the crockpot to form a creamy chicken filling.
Then you’ll take ready-made biscuit dough, chop it up and then dart the chicken filling while it’s still int he crockpot, with the dough. Let it cook right in the crockpot until the dough is a perfect golden brown.
Biscuit Dough vs. Dumpling Dough
Both biscuit dough and dumpling dough are made up of primarily flour and water or milk. This is unlike pasta dough which contains eggs as well.
What biscuit dough makes the best dumplings?
I love using biscuits instead of actual dumplings because they aren’t as heavy. I mean, it’s still is full-on comfort food but just taste-wise, the biscuits add a little fluffiness that is so so yummy. I love how they puff up and make a layer over top. Makes me pretty much want to eat the whole pot but trust me there’s plenty to share or take to lunch.
I prefer flaky biscuit dough. This type of dough puffs into lots of layers with a little air in between creating some extra crunch. It goes perfectly with the creamy chicken filling, I think. But any biscuit dough works!
Using a Frozen Chicken
If using a frozen chicken, you can first let it thaw or you can add cook time. The amount of cook time will depend on the size of the chicken.
Check for doneness by color — it will turn from pink to tan. Or by temperature using a meat thermometer.
What size whole Chicken is best?
A fryer chicken works best. The actual weight isn’t too important. The bigger the chicken, the meatier your chicken and dumplings will be. Typical size of a fryer chicken is between 5-6.5 lbs.
Good Weekend Comfort Food
This chicken and dumpling dinner is great for cool weather and lazy weekends when you just want to snuggle up at home and stand by as dinner slow cooks to perfection.
Since this requires a couple little hands-on steps as this cooks, it’s best if you’re around while it cooks. You’ll need to shred the chicken and add the biscuits. Nothing too major but it’s not a dump, set and forget recipe.
Want more easy dinner ideas?
Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 whole fryer chicken or 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 onion minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1 (12oz) bag crinkle cut carrots
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock created from cooking chicken
- 26 oz cream of chicken soup
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 1 (6oz) can flaky buttery biscuit dough
- Place chicken, onions, garlic, celery, carrots and bay leaf into crockpot and fill with water until chicken is covered or mostly covered.
- Cook on high for 2 hours (or low for 4) until chicken is falling off the bone. Remove the whole chicken and let cool in a bowl.
- Using a strainer placed over a large bowl, pour remaining crockpot contents into the bowl using the strainer to separate out the solid ingredient from the chicken stock. Measure and return 2 cups of chicken stock to crockpot. Stir in cream of chicken soup, pepper, garlic salt and celery seed. Turn crockpot to high heat and cover.
- Shred the cooled chicken, discarding the carcass, and return chicken to crockpot. Add solid ingredients from the strainer back into the slow cooker. Stir gently.
- Open biscuit dough and slice each biscuit in sixths. Place in crockpot pointy-side down. Cook on high 55-60 minutes or until all dumplings are firm to touch and are golden brown.