Avocado pulled pork sandwiches that can be made into sliders as well taste amazing topped with a light and zingy slaw plus fresh avocado slices. A great little appetizer or quick and easy meal!
These pulled pork sandwiches are topped with a refreshing slaw and sliced avocado. A crowd-pleasing party appetizer for any occasion, gathering or for enjoying as a quick and yummy dinner at home.
★ Why You'll Love this Recipe ★
Ready in just 5 minutes!
Prep ahead and have these sandwiches ready to eat in no time.
The secret? Start with cooked BBQ Pulled pork and prepare your slaw in advance.
The sweet, spicy, smokey pulled pork tastes so amazing topped with fresh, creamy sliced avocados and zingy slaw.
What I love about this recipe is how easy it is to prep, once you have the pork heated, the broccoli slaw made, the avocado sliced, and the rolls toasted (if you want), then you just layer everything.
★ Ingredients You'll Need ★
- Pulled pork. Make your own barbecue pulled pork, follow my lazy pulled pork recipe using the crockpot. Or, your can find cooked pulled pork in the meat section of your grocery store.
- Slaw mix. I like to use a blend of red and green cabbage and carrots. Then I add bell peppers, onion and toss everything in a touch of mayo and vinegar. Seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. Very easy. So yummy. Can be made ahead to save time.
- Buns. I love the texture and flavor of sesame seed buns. You can also use slider. Hawaiian rolls are another great choice and make an excellent little appetizer.
- Avocado. Sliced, ripe avocado.
That's it! That's all you need for amazing flavor.
★ How to Make this Recipe★
Here's a look at the step involved in making these sandwiches:
- Cook or heat your pulled pork with barbecue sauce.
- Combine slaw ingredients.
- Layer pork onto buns.
- Add slaw.
- Add avocado.
- Top your sandwich with other half of the bun and serve.
Very quick and easy. Especially when you prepare the pulled pork and slaw ahead of time.
★ Tips & FAQs ★
If you're using pre-cooked shredded pork with barbecue sauce, all you have to do is heat up the pork according to the package or if reheating your own homemade pulled pork, just enough until it's warmed through, stuff into toasted Hawaiian rolls, then top with broccoli slaw and fresh avocado slices. Boom. Done!
Here's how I slice the avocado—right inside the skin, then pop them out and add a slice to each slider.
What does the slaw taste like?
The slaw brings a crunchy texture and the sauce is light and tangy with a hint of creaminess and spice from the sweet onions.
Can I use broccoli slaw?
You sure can. I prefer the cabbage and carrot blend but if you like broccoli slaw, go ahead and use that instead of the traditional slaw mix.
Try minced slaw using a food processor.
I will sometimes prepare the slaw using my food process. I like how the finely diced texture holds together and easily layers right on top of the pork, making it less messy to eat than if you just leave it chunky.
It tastes good either way though so if you don't have a food processor, you can just dice the onion and pepper with a knife and use the slaw mix as it comes.
What type of buns are best?
Sesame Seed Buns
These just have great texture and flavor. They are typically hamburger size and ideal if you're serving this avocado pulled pork sandwich as a meal.
Hawaiian Rolls are great buns to use if you're serving these sandwiches as an appetizer.
The slider sizes makes a lot of mini sandwiches and I love how the sweet rolls taste with the pulled pork and barbecue sauce. The hint of sweet compliments all the tang coming at you!
You can also use savory butter Hawaiian rolls instead of the sweet variety if you don't want too much sweetness.
To toast or not to toast...
You can toast your buns for added crisp or just use room-temperature rolls to build your sandwiches. If you toast the rolls first, just be careful they don't burn. They only take 1 to 2 minutes to toast using a toaster oven or conventional oven.
What sides go with these pulled pork sandwiches?
Here are a few sides that pair well with these pork sliders:
★ More Recipes You'll Love ★
Love this easy pulled pork sandwich or slider recipe?
This delicious recipe for Pulled Pork Hawaiian Roll Sliders was featured on South Your Mouth!
Avocao Pulled Pork Sliders
- 12 ct Hawaiian Rolls or 6 hamburger buns
- 16 oz
Pulled Pork in Barbecue Sauce(2 cups)
- 1 ripe avocado thinly sliced
- 1 cup tri-color shredded coleslaw mix (broccoli slaw also works)
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sweet vidalia onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoon sugar more or less to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start with fresh and hot cooked pulled pork or heat cooked pork until thoroughly warmed.
- Open each Hawaiian roll.
- Add about 2 heaping tablespoon of pulled pork to each roll.
- Top pork with with broccoli slaw and fresh avocado slices then serve!